[SOLVED] Help please, memory upgrade, fail to post, black screen .

Jun 14, 2021
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max
RX 6700xt, 2x4gb hyperx fury ddr4 3200mhz >> (Swapped to corsair 16gb)

So msi says its compatible.. on their site.. but my new corsair 2x8gb vengeance pro's with ddr4 3200 + rgb will not boot my system into bios.... just black screen of death. if i put the old sticks back in, i can post bios and boot from there fine.

I've tried a bunch of slots, single stick, dual channel, keeping the old and mixing the new.. etc nothing will work for me. i'm new to this and it's been p frustrating.. some others on the net told me its a fringe case and to try another brand of ram..

Solution
..its all so tiresome. i havent even bought my first pc game yet. had this thing for 5 days.. can anyone save my system?
Try this.
Put the old ram in the machine.
Power up and enter the bios.
Turn of xmp.
Exit and boot make sure everything functions.
Go to the mobo site and install the latest bios and chipset driver.
Reboot and make sure everything functions.
Remove old ram and install one stick of new ram in the proper slot...see the manual.
See if it will boot.
Switch off your PC. Disconnect the power cord from the wall outlet
Put the 2 new Corsair sticks in slots A2 and B2.
Now , you have to do a clear CMOS: the simplest is to take out the cell battery from your motherboard for 10 minutes.
After that, replace the battery: reconnect electricity, and try to boot.
And refer to your mobo's manual if needed
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B89v1.1.pdf

Reactions: DuduGaymer
Jun 14, 2021
Ok, i powered down, unplugged all, removed the old ram, inserted the new into a2, b2, and removed the cmos battery for 15+ mins.

I tried turning the machine on again and the same issue, black screen, wont boot with delete key (pressing or holding). my cpu debugger light is on btw, as it was before if i didnt mention it.

Should i try to cycle it again?

Jun 14, 2021
thinking i may have incorrectly cleared cmos? i didnt try to use the gap tool, i just took the thing out for a while -- edit--- well i popped it free, i couldnt quite grab it under my graphics card.. but theres no way the thing had power!

..its all so tiresome. i havent even bought my first pc game yet. had this thing for 5 days.. can anyone save my system?
Try this.
Turn of xmp.
Remove old ram and install one stick of new ram in the proper slot...see the manual.
See if it will boot.

Solution
Jun 14, 2021
Try this.
-done

Turn of xmp.
-done

-done

- i'm running E7B89AMS.280 BIOS VER INSIDE BIOS BOOT - Can you help me understand what the heck that means here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-MORTAR - theres a new beta, worth trying? To be honest updating bios scares the f out of me.. any tips or guide for my board?

- pending previous completion

-pending

See if it will boot.
-pending

This is where i'm at!

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021
Sorry guys, i've deleted a few post to help this make more sense. I've been working through it over here and ive got my chipset updated via amd's snazzy app. and i've tried downloading the latest bios from msi's site for my board. i have it on my pc in a zip file but i have NO idea how to get it to execute the changes...

Try this.
-done

Turn of xmp.
-done

-done

- i'm running E7B89AMS.280 BIOS VER INSIDE BIOS BOOT - Can you help me understand what the heck that means here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-MORTAR - theres a new beta, worth trying? To be honest updating bios scares the f out of me.. any tips or guide for my board?

- pending previous completion

-pending

See if it will boot.
-pending

This is where i'm at!

It is easy to flash the BIOS. I would definately do that as the new BIOS could have a fix for certain memory issues. All you do is download the BIOS, put it onto the USB Stick, remove stick, turn off pc, insert stick, turn on pc, go into bios, and use the flash utlity. Its all automated there is no way to mess it up.

Only issue you could run into is 1, if you download the wrong BIOS you can brick the MOBO or 2, your power goes out while its in the middle of updating the bios and brick the MOBO. But the 1st issue can be avoided by just being smart lol. The 2nd issue cannot be avoided and is ALWAYS a risk. But it needs done so you have to do it, or there will always be "well maybe its the bios".

here is a video on how to to do the flash by MSI themselves.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRyFMf0D9Lc

I was playing around in my download and i got to the bottom of the file i think its a 2d0 file and a text doc..

extract the BIOS file and the text doc from the folder onto the usb stick. Keep in mind, the usb stick should not contain any other files. Just the 2 files you got from the MSI website for your MOBO. They should also not be in a folder. Just copy them into the usb stick directly. Then follow the very simple instructions in the video I provided. The updates takes less than 5 minutes. You got this.

But yes, if done improperly, which is pretty hard to do as I said, the mobo will be bricked. But it can only be done improperly if you upgrade with the WRONG bios, or a power outage.

Jun 14, 2021
extract the BIOS file and the text doc from the folder onto the usb stick. Keep in mind, the usb stick should not contain any other files. Just the 2 files you got from the MSI website for your MOBO. They should also not be in a folder. Just copy them into the usb stick directly. Then follow the very simple instructions in the video I provided. The updates takes less than 5 minutes. You got this.
hyperventilating here , thanks, will report back after

Jun 14, 2021
I just did mine lastnight n it took less than 5 minutes. Maybe yours is slower idk, but let us know if it fixes the issue or not :)
im nearing 95% .. will reboot it to see if it accepted. then i will power down and plug one stick of the new corsair veng pro rbg 8gb into slot 2 of 4, cant remember how msi phrases it ;)

Then boot to bios if i can?

edit-the chipset and bios updates worked. thanks you guys even if my rams a dud.. this was intense

Jun 14, 2021
SO pumped. i got the bios boot with one stick of the new in slot 2. do i just exit bios, run the machine normally.. shut it down, add a stick.. and try booting to bios again? then exit & run, then one last time to turn xmp on?