[SOLVED] Help please! New PC shutting down while gaming

CelticPharaoh

Prominent
Nov 24, 2021
Hi all,

I'm at a loss with my new system. After about 10-15 minutes of playing Cyberpunk, my system shuts off. I ran HWInfo in the background to monitor temps and would alt+tab from time to time to check CPU temps. It would start out at 63c-64c and then slowly climb up to 70c and seems to peak at around 73c-75c but still below the 90c limit.
GPU temps are good too, being around 70c-75c.

I've replaced the cooler from a Noctua NH-U14S to a Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT and while CPU temps are 6-7 degrees lower, the same behaviour still occurs. I've also updated the motherboard BIOS to 3801 (latest) but no difference.

I've been trying to think what could be the issue. Windows event logs are vague, with just an error message, "The system shut down unexpectedly"
The only parts of my system that I haven't changed from my previous system were the SSD, a HDD, PSU and case. Could it be the PSU? According to Newegg's PSU calculator, I would only need around 620W so I feel it should be okay. However, I did buy my PSU in 2013 so I'm not sure. There were no signs of failure whilst using that system and I had even went back to it for a few months because I needed a working system and it ran fine, no issues. RAM should be okay as it's on the QVL of the motherboard so I really don't know what could be causing this system shut down issue. One thing to note, although I'm not sure if it's significant, the power LED would stay on when the system shut down and I can see the motherboard LEDs still lit up and the only way to start up the system again is to flick the PSU switch off and on again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Hi CelticPharaoh.

What is your PSU?

8 years is old for a PSU especially if the PSU is from a low tier category.

Some PSU have 10 years warranty like a good Corsair PSU but some of them have a 1 to 3 years warranty.

A system shutting down while gaming is most of the time a PSU or overheating issue.
Hi CelticPharaoh.

What is your PSU?

Some PSU have 10 years warranty like a good Corsair PSU but some of them have a 1 to 3 years warranty.

A system shutting down while gaming is most of the time a PSU or overheating issue.

Solution

CelticPharaoh

Prominent
Nov 24, 2021
Hi CelticPharaoh.

What is your PSU?

Hi Nemesia,

My PSU is a Corsair HX850
https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categ...Supply-Units/hx-series-config/p/CP-9020032-UK

It had 7 years warranty so its just 1 year out now but I have used up until last weekend for a few months with my previous system without issue, it was stable.

Did you fresh install Windows?

Yep, fresh install

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I agree an 8 yr old PSU is most likely the culprit. You could also update your chipset drivers from AMD's website, and try running 2 sticks of RAM in slots A2 and B2. I have read many times that it is harder to get 4 sticks of RAM to OC properly. I have a similar setup to yours but I am running 2x16GB sticks. And lastly update your BIOS.