Question Help Please - PC Making Beeping Sound on Startup (not BIOS hardware failure beeps)

Feb 2, 2023
Hello, hoping that somebody will be able to help me with my problem.

A few days ago my PC started making a beeping type sound when starting up and coming out of sleep (and also when shutting down or going into sleep). I don't recall doing anything different from what I normally do when this started.
I have been looking for answers online, but no luck.
Once the computer goes through 9 sets of beeps, it starts up normally and I don't have any problems with the PC other than I think the computer is briefly freezing every once in a while - I don't recall this happening before the beeping started. The number of sets of beeps has changed - originally it was 6 sets of beeps on startup and 3 sets of beeps on a restart. Now both shutting down and restarting result in 9 sets of beeps. Also when in sleep, my computer will make the same beeping sound (not sure about timing or number of beeps).

I have made a video of the sound and uploaded to YouTube:
View: https://youtu.be/Sl0nXDbo8GM

I have tried the following:
-updated BIOS
-removed motherboard battery
-clear CMOS
-removed and plugged back in GPU
-removed and plugged back in RAM
-virus check - no problems detected
-ran BurnInTest - no problems detected
-ran Windows 10 in safe mode
-opened up case and cleaned everything
No luck.

My PC specs (built in 2018):
Motherboard: Asrock H370 Pro4
CPU: Intel Core i5-8500 3.0 GHz
RAM: Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX (8GB x 2)
GPU: AMD Radeon RX580
PSU: Corsair CX600M
SSD: Samsung SSD840EVO 250GB - main drive running OS (from 2014)
Windows 10

If anybody has any experience with this issue or any ideas I would very much appreciate any help you could give me.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please include the make and model of your PSU.

Go into your motherboard BIOS>Boot Option Priorities>Boot Beep>Disabled, see if that removes the sound from your platform. Though in your words, if the system is lagging, then it's possible you might be having a boot device issue or your ram is failing. It might even be the PSU's struggling to power all devices after all these years of usage.

SSD for main drive running OS
Make and model of the SSD?

updated BIOS
For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

Feb 2, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please include the make and model of your PSU.

Go into your motherboard BIOS>Boot Option Priorities>Boot Beep>Disabled, see if that removes the sound from your platform. Though in your words, if the system is lagging, then it's possible you might be having a boot device issue or your ram is failing. It might even be the PSU's struggling to power all devices after all these years of usage.

SSD for main drive running OS
Make and model of the SSD?

updated BIOS
For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?
Thank you for the response.
I now seem unable to get into the motherboard BIOS by pressing keys on startup (F2, DEL, F6, F11). Actually I managed to get in via Windows and now I am able to get into the UEFI setup screen. Unfortunately the boot beep was already set to disabled. I switched it to enable but it makes no difference.

BIOS version is P4.10
Both the power supply and SSD were purchased in 2014 originally used in another computer
PSU: Corsair CX430M
SSD: Samsung SSD840EVO 250GB

Any ideas if this BurnInTest program is any good? I came across it while looking for solutions to my issue. I have run the 3 min test and according to that there appear to be no problems. I will attempt their 24 hour test this weekend.

Feb 2, 2023
PSU: Corsair CX430M (from 2014)
Might want to throw that PSU away, pronto!

Was the OS reinstalled at any point since 2014?
Anything specifically wrong with that PSU? Could you recommend a comparable replacement?

I put together my current PC in the middle of 2018 (used the PSU and SSD from a previous build (those parts bought new in 2014), but all other parts were purchased new (other than the case and some HDDs).
OS reinstall - installed in 2018 and it's been surprisingly trouble free, so I don't think I've had to reinstall it.

Feb 2, 2023
Hadn't made the connection till now but I am having a couple of problems using my computer - could be that these issues started after the beeping started (or it could have started sooner - not sure).
  1. After going into Windows, my wireless trackball doesn't work (pointer is not visible) - after fiddling with the power switch and moving the trackball around, the pointer appears and I have no issues. I replaced the battery so it isn't that. Model is Elecom EX-G if that matters.
  2. I am having problems with stock prices getting pulled into Google Sheets using the Google Finance function. Most prices still populate, but the prices seem slow to update and some fields don't populate at all even after refreshing the worksheet.

Feb 2, 2023
Actually made a mistake about the PSU (I was working off my online purchase history...), I actually have a Corsair CX600M in my computer now (I assume I bought this in 2018). Just opened up my computer case again and saw that. Got the serial number off the motherboard and will reach out to Asrock...fingers crossed.

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
Maybe it's the speaker ? I know, it sounds weird, but isn't that the built in speaker of the pc ? It sounds like a doorbell and I'm not an expert but if that's really the major problem with the pc it might be just that. I also think that it's not a beep code. Would be cool , if you only had to replace that thing. Maybe you have another pc around so you can exchange the speaker to test that. Would be a really simple repair. Good luck !

Feb 2, 2023
Nice Nicer - thank you for the suggestion. Fortunately Asrock support got back to me before I started scrounging around for a PC speaker.

They confirmed that the motherboard should not make that sound so that it would be likely something else inside the computer causing that sound. They suggesting running the machine with just the CPU, fan and one stick of memory plugged in to see what would happen. At that point I just started unplugging everything one at a time to see if I could determine what was causing the sound. Turns out it was a really old HDD (Maxtor Maxline Pro 500, manufactured in 2006 for those interested). With that unplugged, the computer no longer makes that sound on startup/sleep/shutdown. I haven't had the computer back up running long enough to notice if the performance issues I was having have gone away.

Thank you Lutfij and Nice Nicer - I really do appreciate you guys chiming in to help.

TRENDING THREADS