Help plz, computer crashes when playing games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wabbit_87

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
K, i built my system 1 months ago, and everything was fast and not lag at all, played BF3 and CIV V all max with no hicups,

specs, GTX580 SC EVGA,
I5 2500K
8 GB MEMORY CROSAIR
850X W PSU CROSAIR
ASUS PRO Z68 MOBO,
500 GB HD
WINDOWS VISTA SERVICE PACK 2

I GOT NORTON ANTIVIRUS ALSO

ok, so i could play all my games on ultra 1600 : 1050 res 23 inch monitor,
but one day i came home and my mobo started to light up on LED which was the memory one, for some reason my mobo didn't read my memory, so i click the LED and it flashed couple of times, and it got fix, but since then whenever i wanna play a game i get Blue screen, most of them say Memory error, or Memory management etc,

i cant play a game for even 3 mins, so last night i tried to change my memory from the slots, and i tried 1 stick at time using Batman arkam city,

Windows loads up normal speed a bit slower than b4, but when i play batman, even when the game menu is horrible slow, lol the bats on the menu fly so slow and it lags bad, even when i start teh game it takes 3 mins just to load,

so im lost here, are both of my memory sticks bad? or my mobo?
or my GPU?

i uninstalled vista and installed it again, i got a clean Gpu driver install, but i still get those blue screens.

even firefox started to lag lately, my computer doesn't seem fast as b4,

Wabbit_87

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011

ok thanx 4 helping me out, one last time, u think i should get a new ram then?
u think that's likely to b the problem?

like i said b4, i came home one day, and my MOBO couldnt read my memory, so i had to put them in again and my mobo started to find my memory again.

since then i started to get those Blue screens.

sometimes windows reads my memory at 7.96 gb and other times at 8 gb

@ Raiddinn +
"If the case sides stayed on the case through that whole period then ESD damage is pretty unlikely"

Not really true as damage could of happend during installation and is just now showing up. This is referred to as "Walking wounded" which is when a component is damaged but does not cause a immediate failure, but creates a condition that cause the component to prematurly fail. The fail can be 1 day, 1 week, 1 month or even a year later. Some good info on the web on ESD. Me I get stuck going thru a ESD class every year.

Wabbit_87

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011

mmm, well i dont have a carpet at home, so i cant pick up static, i built my rig on a wooden table and i was touching my case with my other hand, i never felt that little tiny energy discharge, like when u walk in carpet and touch a door handle.

Ok, run memtest86 for at least 1 hr to see if it comes up with any errors. It is a huge waste of our time to not do what is suggested.

Yes - Run memtest

A few MISCONCEPTION.

1) When you feel a "little" zap, That is several THOUSAND volts. You do not feel a 100, 200, or 30 volt charge. Did I say that ram works at only 1.5 -> 2 volts.

2) Everybody mention "carpets" It really depends on the placement of two different materials and where they fall on a chart. Here is a EX. You sit on a "wooden" chair on a "wodden" floor and say the relative humdity is 20% (quite common in the winter time) the air blowing across your body can still generate a 100 volt charge on you quite quickly). This means that if you are handling a memory module (Low Humidity) you can damage it UNLESS your one hand is ALWAYS on the Case. When replacing/removing and re-installing Ram it is very difficult to keep one hand on the case and only work with one hand.

Number 3 myth. You have to touch the "pins" or that if the compoenent is install - No problem. It has been demonstrated that if you have built up a fair charge (say several hundred volts (below feeling it) that just coming close to a component can create damage. This is due to a EM field that surrounds a voltage charge and that field can induce a voltage into a "IC Chip" by just touching the "Insulated" component.

Wabbit_87

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
k so i just tried 1 memory stick at a time, and when i play the game, BATMAN arkam city, is just to slow, like teh game lags really bad, now when i put both of teh sticks the game runs good until it goes to teh blue screen, so i tired one stick at a time and teh game lags really bad, maybe both of my Memory are bad

Dude RUN MEMTEST86!!!

It will tell you if there is a ram problem!

Wabbit_87

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
the game even lags in menu, like the standard menu, save, load etc lol when i use 1 stick, i mean i understand the game is a monster and bad optimized, but 4 gb should run ingame menus normal not lagging, my mouse move so slow in game menu, only happens when i used 1 stick of each memory.

larkspur

Distinguished
Wabbit - Enough messing around. Google memtest86, go to the website, read the directions, follow the directions to make a bootable disk or whatever, and run memtest86 with both of your sticks in the proper slots. If windows is BSoDing because of a bad stick then memtest will find it too. At least then you know that you probably have bad RAM and not something else.

Wabbit_87

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
ok so i did memtest last nigth and i passed it, 4 hours and prime 95, system passed it, i even did pc wizzard test and no problems found, everything was fine,

on the cpuz i notice that my cpu core voltage jumops from .900 to 1.230

is that normal? i dont have OC my cpu, but the voltage of teh core keeps jumping,

memory V was fine and memory timing was fine.

so i tried Batman arkam city one more time, but this time i disabled Dirext 11,

and bang i could play the game for 30 mins no crashing until i went to sleep,

so now can Dirext 11 be the issue here?

i upgrade my grapics drivers to teh newest ones.

Blue screens happen to me when i play Battlefield 3 and Batman, both have dirext 11, antiallising to teh max, i play on ultra settings.

maybe was a dirext 11 issue here?

Temp was fine also for my cpu and gpu and mobo,

1) Vcore. The change in voltage probably corresponds to changes in CPU speed. When idle the CPU will cut back to around 1.6 GHz then as cpu demand increases it will jump up to normal clock speed.

2) Sorry not a gamer so no help on Dx11 and games, But does sound like a driver/Dx11 compatability problem

The voltages changing is not an issue some processors clock themselves down when they are idle to conserve power/heat.

You should go to the forums site for the game Batman and see. I thought I read something about this being an issue with that game and DX11.

G

ok im new but anyways i get the same problem its never happened to me before then all of a sudden it starts crashing when i play games

windows 7 ultimate (never came with windows so had to buy one)
3ghz intel premium
8gb ram
ati raedon hd 5400
2tb hard drive
wifi

i used to play games for days but now i ******* hate my computer
so is there a fix im am gonna get
proccessor:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-Black-Edition-AMD-Phenom-II-X4-965-3-4GHz-Quad-Core-Processor-Socket-AM3-8MB-/221017921982?pt=UK_Computing_CPUs_Processors&hash=item3375b1d9be#ht_2494wt_1270
graphics card:http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/3320/2587/-/19766474/Sapphire-AMD-Radeon-HD-6570-2GB-DDR3-PCI-Express-2-1-Graphics-Card/Product.html

@saintscod98: open your own thread about your issue, people will help you out.
i don't see a motherboard listed... hope you know that amd cpus will not fit into intel motherboards. 6570 is not a gaming graphics card. it's only viable for people on low budget.
for gaming, currently intel cpus are better options... this is getting longer... anyway, it'll be better for you to get response in your own thread.