Help: Power Supply for Dell Studio Slim Desktop and GeForce 9600 GT

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

viperbyte

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

I have no idea. Like I said, the 300 watt Seasonic works fine with the 9600 GT, but I guess you have a need for even more power. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

viperbyte

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

I bought a new power supply because the one that came with my Vostro has a label on it that says that it is 250 watts, and 250 watts isn't enough (in my opinion) for what I wanted to do. I did not test the power supply to see how much power it was actually producing. I do not know if you can harm the video card by trying the power supply you have, but I suspect that it would be harmless to try.

The video card was getting way too hot in my vostro without the modifications. The card has a fan, but with the configuration of the insides of the computer, there was no where for the hot air to go. The card is pretty much "boxed in" when installed. In short, no I don't think it would be ok. I think your card would overheat and die. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Success_Tree

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009

Why do you say that the power supply is actually 300w? I have got a Dell Vostro 220s and an ATI 4650, but I always got problem with the insert of such video card. After I installed the 4650, the hard disk does not work properly. Sometimes it was as slow as a snail, and sometimes it reboots suddenly. I doubt it was the 250w TFX power supply causes this.

instant90

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
well the sticker says it's 250, some of the other fourms I've read says that dell underrates their psu's and that it should actaully be 50w higher about.

It say's it's 250w because that's it's maximum "continuous output ", the unit can peak higher but peak power is only sustainable for a few seconds per minute.
The whole " underrated psu " idea came about due to the generally high 12v output of the unit's, for example; the 375w Dell can output upto 30 amps on the 12v ( that's as much or more than many generic 450-500 watt units )

tom_in_oregon

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009

I went to that website and it does appear to be TFX and supply an impressive 450W.
However...
1. It says International shipping: Not available.
2. It appears to only support 220v AC input.

guilzom

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
I have a dell 540s and just bought a sapphire 4650....

Until now no problem with the PSU, but I know that install a second h.d. is not a good idea right now.

I'm worried about the overheating problems... the guide from vyperbyte gave me some ideas... But I'm thinking to replace completelly the metal bar that hides the vcard (the one showed the picts 4 and 5) cause block the air flow and still don't know what is it's function. Add other fans can be not good with this weenie PSU.

I don't wanna lose my guarantee with Dell that's why I don't wanna change the case. What others solutions could be implemented in these case, it seem that a lot of us hav the same problem... I'm thinking in a second PSU (in the outside offcourse) or and intenal one (like: Thermaltake A2422 Mini ITX Drive Bay PSU or similar).

Other option for the one looking for a little upgrade of PSU here

guilzom

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Anybody knows a PCI blower that can be mounted in our case... I can't find any with low-profile brakets, but I saw some (in picts) that maybe could work modifying the bracket

The HD4650 uses much less power then the 9600GT and produces much less heat. Before you make any modifications download and run a hardware monitor to keep track of your temperatures.

http://www.cpuid.com/

sd78

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
You can modify the 2nd hard-drive power cable to fit your 9600GT.

The good news is that this has worked GREAT for me thus far, even after some fairly intensive Empire:Total War sessions.

The bad news is that it will invalidate your warentee.

Status
Not open for further replies.