[SOLVED] Help - Puchased Samsung Evo 860 SSD - But can't fagment/set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedders99

Reputable
Jul 2, 2020
Help - Puchased Samsung Evo 860 SSD - But can't fagment/set up.

Put it inside computer tower all conected. It's showing up on my computer when re-started with no problems.

Only issue is to get it utilised and up and running I hear I have to use 'Samsung Migration' to transfer 'C' Drive files over to new SSD.

Problem is SSD says 232gb available (even though suppost to be 250gb) and Files to transfer over is 850gb+ which is too big! :(. Can reduce that amount to 550gb but still too much. How do I solve this as it won't let me lower transfered stuff below 550gb??

Solution
So, with 850GB currently consumed on your HDD, and a 250GB SSD, you have 2 options.

1. Reduce the consumed space on your current drive to below 200GB. This is not optional. You cannot clone into that 250GB if it is more than that. Procedures and tools to follow if you wish to go down this road.

or

2. A clean install on the new drive. This is a fresh install of the OS and everything else. You don't use your 5 year old Windows disk. Instead, you create a new Win 10 install USB or DVD to use.

Read this carefully. Then read it again.

USAFRet

Titan
Help - Puchased Samsung Evo 860 SSD - But can't fagment/set up.

Put it inside computer tower all conected. It's showing up on my computer when re-started with no problems.

Only issue is to get it utilised and up and running I hear I have to use 'Samsung Migration' to transfer 'C' Drive files over to new SSD.

Problem is SSD says 232gb available (even though suppost to be 250gb) and Files to transfer over is 850gb+ which is too big! :(. Can reduce that amount to 550gb but still too much. How do I solve this as it won't let me lower transfered stuff below 550gb??
For clone/migration into a 250GB drive, the actual consumed space on the source drive MUST be below 200GB.

And Windows reporting 232GB is absolutely normal and to be expected.
250-232 is simply a difference in reporting units. It is the same size drive, no space is lost.

If you cannot reduce the actual consumed space on your current drive to below 200GB, you cannot migrate into this new 860 EVO.

USAFRet

Titan
So, with 850GB currently consumed on your HDD, and a 250GB SSD, you have 2 options.

1. Reduce the consumed space on your current drive to below 200GB. This is not optional. You cannot clone into that 250GB if it is more than that. Procedures and tools to follow if you wish to go down this road.

or

2. A clean install on the new drive. This is a fresh install of the OS and everything else. You don't use your 5 year old Windows disk. Instead, you create a new Win 10 install USB or DVD to use.

Read this carefully. Then read it again.

Reactions: Jedders99
Solution

Jedders99

Reputable
Jul 2, 2020
Cheers buddy, going to do a clean install of OS. Nevermind the new SSD I'm probably best having a fresh start, as having 850GB in my 'C' drive, there must be a lot of clutter lol.

Jedders99

Reputable
Jul 2, 2020
Quick question:

''Before you begin the installation, whether now or after you create your installation media, it is of utmost importance that you disconnect ALL system attached storage drives EXCEPT for the target drive. This is important because we've seen instances where the system has decided to install one or more of the created partitions including the boot, EFI or recovery partitions on secondary drives making it impossible to boot (Or recover) Windows if that secondary drive is removed. ''

When I attached motherboard conector to SSD, it was attached to something else I'm assuming the original built in hard drive? Does that paragraph above mean I take that out or I leave it as it is and the new SSD as it is?

USAFRet

Titan
Quick question:

''Before you begin the installation, whether now or after you create your installation media, it is of utmost importance that you disconnect ALL system attached storage drives EXCEPT for the target drive. This is important because we've seen instances where the system has decided to install one or more of the created partitions including the boot, EFI or recovery partitions on secondary drives making it impossible to boot (Or recover) Windows if that secondary drive is removed. ''

When I attached motherboard conector to SSD, it was attached to something else I'm assuming the original built in hard drive? Does that paragraph above mean I take that out or I leave it as it is and the new SSD as it is?
The ONLY things you want connected are whatever you are installing FROM - DVD or USB, and whatever you are installing TO - the new SSD.
Physically disconnect the cables that are on the HDD.

Reactions: Jedders99
Status
Not open for further replies.