[SOLVED] Help Requested: The system suddenly shuts off, won't turn on.

SophusVir

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
System:

1. CPU: i7-5820k
  2. CPU: EVGA 980ti
  3. PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w atx12v
  4. MB: Gigabyte GA-X99-SOC Champion LGA 2011-v3
  5. 32 gigs of DDR4
Story: So for the longest time I've been using this as a gaming pc and in the past couple of years a number of my games would cause my video to outright crash showing a blank/brown screen and then reset or fully crash my pc with a loud lockup sound that required power kill. Time and time again this happened and finally today my pc just straight up shuts off and after fiddling with it I found that if I remove the GPU the system turns back on with no issue.

Afterward, I moved the card around to various slots on my MB and got the same reaction. If the GPU is installed and has power going to it the system will not power on yet if it is installed and not powered the system will run and the fans on the GPU turn and then tell me that I need to power up my GPU on the screen. After a while, I decided to toss in an older video card and sure enough, it booted right up with no issue at all besides being an ancient 9800 GTX with 512 megs of ram.

So my question is this:

Is this a GPU gone bad, or a PSU issue?

Solution
So far it has not crashed while using the 9800 and even when it did it never gave me a BSOD it either gave me a brown screen or just locked up with some kinda weird roar/buzz and I had to hold down the power button to cut it off and then turn it back on.
Then I would rather say the PSU, I have a similar problem with my old PC. In Q1 2018 1 of my motherboard died, and before ot happened , my ganes would crash . After I replaced it, the games woild still crash. Then I updated to Win10 and it got fixed but the boot time on the machine was unacceptably very much. I downgraded to Win7, and a few days ago, I had a strange problem where my mousr and keyboard turned off snd then turned on but PC was on all the time. I would say the culprit...

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019
System:

1. CPU: i7-5820k
  2. CPU: EVGA 980ti
  3. PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w atx12v
  4. MB: Gigabyte GA-X99-SOC Champion LGA 2011-v3
  5. 32 gigs of DDR4
Story: So for the longest time I've been using this as a gaming pc and in the past couple of years a number of my games would cause my video to outright crash showing a blank/brown screen and then reset or fully crash my pc with a loud lockup sound that required power kill. Time and time again this happened and finally today my pc just straight up shuts off and after fiddling with it I found that if I remove the GPU the system turns back on with no issue. Afterward, I moved the card around to various slots on my MB and got the same reaction. If the GPU is installed and has power going to it the system will not power on yet if it is installed and not powered the system will run and the fans on the GPU turn and then tell me that I need to power up my GPU on the screen. After a while, I decided to toss in an older video card and sure enough, it booted right up with no issue at all besides being an ancient 9800 GTX with 512 megs of ram.

So my question is this:

Is this a GPU gone bad, or a PSU issue?
Did PC crash usimg 9800,if not then it it is a GPU issue, and you can reinstall drivers for 980ti and check. Also you van check the dump files using whocrashed and find the problem

Sent from my CPH1729 using Tapatalk

SophusVir

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
Did PC crash usimg 9800,if not then it it is a GPU issue, and you can reinstall drivers for 980ti and check. Also you van check the dump files using whocrashed and find the problem

So far it has not crashed while using the 9800 and even when it did it never gave me a BSOD it either gave me a brown screen or just locked up with some kinda weird roar/buzz and I had to hold down the power button to cut it off and then turn it back on.

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019
Then I would rather say the PSU, I have a similar problem with my old PC. In Q1 2018 1 of my motherboard died, and before ot happened , my ganes would crash . After I replaced it, the games woild still crash. Then I updated to Win10 and it got fixed but the boot time on the machine was unacceptably very much. I downgraded to Win7, and a few days ago, I had a strange problem where my mousr and keyboard turned off snd then turned on but PC was on all the time. I would say the culprit is PSU

Solution

SophusVir

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
Then I would rather say the PSU, I have a similar problem with my old PC. In Q1 2018 1 of my motherboard died, and before ot happened , my ganes would crash . After I replaced it, the games woild still crash. Then I updated to Win10 and it got fixed but the boot time on the machine was unacceptably very much. I downgraded to Win7, and a few days ago, I had a strange problem where my mousr and keyboard turned off snd then turned on but PC was on all the time. I would say the culprit is PSU

So you think it is the PSU and not the GPU? So far with this 9800 I've had no real issues though most of the issues with the old 980ti were when gaming and not when just browsing however I've tried a number of the games I had major issues with and it hasn't seemed to crash yet with this old card.

Last edited:

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019
So you think it is the PSU and not the GPU? So far with this 9800 I've had no real issues though most of the issues with the old 980ti were when gaming and not when just browsing however I've tried a number of the games I had major issues with and it hasn't seemed to crash yet with this old card.
I believe it is the PSU, more than the GPU. It seems PSU cam deliver enough power. My PC still freezes, and then restarts