Help required: i7 vs i5 haswell upgrade

c2yCharlie

Honorable
Mar 27, 2014
Hello,

I have i3 4130 + gtx 750 with 8gb ddr3 1333mhz and asus b85m g.

I am looking to replace it with a new processor and graphics card. After some researching I found that I have two options--

1) i7 4790 + zotac gtx 960 4gb or 2) i5 4690 + r9 380 strix 4gb

Which would be a better option? I am looking for something which I can keep for the next 3 - 4 years. I am basically a gamer but also do some editing (video, photo) and also do some video encoding and also office works like excel, word, powerpoint, etc.

So what do you guys think? Here is a link which has confused me very much - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCmARe6r9HM

It will really nice of you guys to guide me and help.
Anyways, thanking you all,
Bye.

Solution
i5 and i7 are the same cpu other then i7 has hypertherding. that helps only if the game or ap uses them. as a gamer you better off with the i5 and a higher end gpu. there no gpu out there now that bottleneck an i5. i would wait for the newer pascal/amd gpu. but i would before stock is gone pick up a new cpu.
i5 and i7 are the same cpu other then i7 has hypertherding. that helps only if the game or ap uses them. as a gamer you better off with the i5 and a higher end gpu. there no gpu out there now that bottleneck an i5. i would wait for the newer pascal/amd gpu. but i would before stock is gone pick up a new cpu.

Solution

lodders

Admirable
i7 is about 30% faster than an i5 for video encoding, but minimal advantage when gaming.
Only worth getting the i7 if you do a lot of video work.
Also, I would be a little concerned about running an i7 on that motherboard - some lower priced motherboards get hot when trying to provide power for a very fast chip like a 4790.
IMHO 4690k or even 4590 are good choices,