[SOLVED] Help resolving why 1 of 3 identical access points is slow (NETGEAR Nighthawk R6700v2)

calvin2376

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
I would appreciate your help in diagnosing and resolving an issue I'm having with one access point being slow (while the other two are fine):

Hardware
  • Internet: Verizon Fios Gigabit internet
  • Modem: Verizon Fios G3100
  • Access Points: Three NETGEAR R6700v2 Nighthawk AC1750 routers, firmware V1.2.0.62_1.0.1, all in access point mode
  • Cabling: All Cat5e or Cat6
Setup
  • Internet comes into the G3100 modem
  • The three NETGEAR routers are spread out far apart in different parts of the house, all hardwired back to the modem
  • All three NETGEAR routers have both 2.4G and 5G networks transmitting, and they're all transmitting the same SSIDs (e.g. "Network" and "Network 5G")
Issue
Two of the NETGEAR router access points work fine and are giving me about 300 mbps in wireless download speed and over 500 mbps in wired download speed. However, one of the access points is only giving me about 70-80 mbps in wireless and wired download speed.

There is nothing different about this access point to my knowledge - it is not farther away from the modem than the others, it's using the same cabling, etc. I set up all three access points in exactly the same way, setting each up as an access point in the setup wizard and then generally not fiddling manually with other more advanced settings (other than changing SSID and password), so the same default settings generally apply to all three access points.

I have tried swapping this problematic access point out for another identical R6700v2 Nighthawk configured the same way as above and am still getting the same issue, so I don't think it's the router hardware itself. I'm hoping that changing a setting or two will help me resolve this.

I would appreciate any help, insight or experience. Let me know if any other information is helpful. Thank you!

Solution
Thanks for your response. Apologies in advance for my lack of familiarity with this, but can you clarify? It sounds like what you're saying is that I'm actually only getting 100 mbps to my Verizon modem/router (into which all the access points are connected). Is that what you're saying? If so, that can't be correct, because two other access points connected to the same Verizon modem/router are getting 300-500 mbps.
The cabling between your "problem" access point and your primary router has a problem. If just one of the 8 wires is broken or not making connection, you get a 100Mbit link speed rather than gigabit. You need to repair/replace the cable between the problem access point and the Verizon router.

kanewolf

Titan
Two of the NETGEAR router access points work fine and are giving me about 300 mbps in wireless download speed and over 500 mbps in wired download speed. However, one of the access points is only giving me about 70-80 mbps in wireless and wired download speed.
This, to me indicates that the uplink to the primary router is only 100Mbit rather than gigabit. Since swapping hardware didn't cause the issue to move, that is even MORE reason to believe the uplink to the primary router is your problem.

calvin2376

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
This, to me indicates that the uplink to the primary router is only 100Mbit rather than gigabit. Since swapping hardware didn't cause the issue to move, that is even MORE reason to believe the uplink to the primary router is your problem.
Thanks for your response. Apologies in advance for my lack of familiarity with this, but can you clarify? It sounds like what you're saying is that I'm actually only getting 100 mbps to my Verizon modem/router (into which all the access points are connected). Is that what you're saying? If so, that can't be correct, because two other access points connected to the same Verizon modem/router are getting 300-500 mbps.

kanewolf

Titan
The cabling between your "problem" access point and your primary router has a problem. If just one of the 8 wires is broken or not making connection, you get a 100Mbit link speed rather than gigabit. You need to repair/replace the cable between the problem access point and the Verizon router.

Solution