Help restoring iPhone from non-system drive

coroloro

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
To the friendly and amazing folks from these forums,

Firstly, it is good to be back! It has been years- and I do mean years, I certainly wished they made award for being on here as long as I have! When I was building my first computer and encountered problems, the 'secret to my success' was Tom's Hardware, and the amazing minds here. There isn't a problem that cannot be solved by a community of caring, brilliant people willing to share their time to help each other. Thank you- even if you weren't here back in the early 2000's, thank you!

That said: I'm encountering a problem that has my mind numb, and I knew this was the place to go.

I (for better or for worse) have an iPhone 6S, and I use Windows 10. I also set up my computer with a smaller SSD system drive, and iTunes- lovely thing that it is- will ONLY backup my iPhone to my system drive... it also seems it will only restore from it as well. I got around the first by copying my backup to another drive, and deleting the original. Yay- I can finally play my games on my system drive rather than wasting it with backups. Until... I needed to reset my iPhone.

That is where I am now. I'm quite a few gigs short of enough space on my system drive to copy my prior backup to, so that I can restore my iPhone. I've ONLY been able to find instructions on how to restore my iPhone directly from the system drive- if that really is the only way, I feel a bit 'screwed' because it is going to take me ages to figure out how to shrink it- I'd rather not have to delete all the programs I use just to do this, and if there were ANY other way, I feel you guys would know. If there is not- well, then you would know too.

If there is- please, do tell me. I also wouldn't mind help on how to best add the previous backup file to my itunes again and restore from it to my iPhone especially if there is no other way but from the system drive.

And now if I may - please forgive me, but I just have to get it off my chest- WHY?!?!?! WHY is Apple so... I don't know, anal... as to force users to do everything their way with equipment THEY BOUGHT and PAID FOR, and why must they force us to use the system drive?!?!?! Even Windows has finally gotten the hint. It makes perfect sense to use a more expensive but faster SSD system drive and store extended data on bigger, cheaper drives... and it would work just fine if it weren't for crappy iTunes and its demand to store my extremely large backup files on it. Even now, my backup file is months old so I won't be getting back my more recent data and that really, really irks me. GRRRRRR. Is adding the option of backing up to non-system drives and restoring from them SO HARD? Or do they just have some nefarious agenda I'm unaware of? /end rant

Thank you everyone for your assistance. Again, my backup is on a secondary drive- NOT my system drive, I am several gigs short (with no idea how to clear the remaining gigs without taking off some programs that would take days to re-download and restore!!) of the space I need to put my backup on my system drive. And honestly, I'd love to be able to backup more often too- though I found somewhere out there once a bit of a little known fix that involves using the command prompt to modify itunes (have no idea how well it works).

Thank you for your time, and help. I'd share system specs but to my knowledge I don't think they are really necessary here- if there is a way to restore an iPhone backup from an external/secondary drive it would work regardless of detailed specs.

Solution
I wonder if this would trick it. Either make some empty space on secondary drive, or use a USB (probably easier), and then look at this: http://www.howtogeek.com/98195/how-to-mount-a-hard-drive-as-a-folder-on-your-windows-pc/

I don't know if you can just use unallocated space on a hard drive or if it needs an entire drive, hence a USB being easier, but that lets you mount a hdd onto C as a folder and I can't see why the Apple program wouldn't let you run it from there since its sort of on system drive.

I don't like Apple because of their repair policies, all their hardware is too expensive and they became the company they warned everyone about in their 1984 commercials.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wonder if this would trick it. Either make some empty space on secondary drive, or use a USB (probably easier), and then look at this: http://www.howtogeek.com/98195/how-to-mount-a-hard-drive-as-a-folder-on-your-windows-pc/

I don't know if you can just use unallocated space on a hard drive or if it needs an entire drive, hence a USB being easier, but that lets you mount a hdd onto C as a folder and I can't see why the Apple program wouldn't let you run it from there since its sort of on system drive.

I don't like Apple because of their repair policies, all their hardware is too expensive and they became the company they warned everyone about in their 1984 commercials.

Solution