Question Help securing my business computer systems.

William133

BANNED
Oct 5, 2019
I'm doing some upgrades for my business and after all of the hacking that has been going on lately, I'm looking to secure our computer systems better. Unfortunately I'm not that much of a tech person and I don't have anyone else on staff that knows any more about it than I do. So I'm wondering if anybody here knows of anybody I can hire to do a full security analysis (sorry if this is the wrong term I don't know what it's actually called) and secure our systems for me. Thanks for all the help in advance.

USAFRet

Titan
"knows of anybody I can hire "

This is a big planet.
Someone can only recommend if they have an idea where you are.

But I wouldn't expect any personal recommendations from a forum like this. Wrong concept.
Who do your competitors and other business people in your area use?

Reactions: William133
What is the current IT layout?

3-7 PCs running Win10, one 8 port 1 GbE switch, one router, one NAS, no WIndows servers needed, no web/self-hosted e-mail presence?

Or 100 PCs running WIn7 with four WIn2008 servers, self hosted Exchange, with a self-hosted internet facing IIS instance?

The largest concern at the moment seems to be having a ransomware plan...which means not only backups, but, backups that are invulnerable/impervious to a ransomware attack

Ralston18

Titan
What upgrades are you doing?

Overall, my thought (with full respect and agreement with the preceding posts) is that security is a matter of hardware, software, and most importantly training for your business employees.

The weakness is always people.

Do not skimp on policies, procedures, and training. Get everyone aware and involved.

William133

BANNED
Oct 5, 2019
Someone can only recommend if they have an idea where you are.
Sorry I meant to mention that. My business is based in Houston TX (though I'm currently in Singapore). I talked with some people from a couple of other businesses I work with and they don't know any more on the subject than I do.

What is the current IT layout?
We have 7 business owned computers running windows 7 and 8 plus some employee owned laptop's, 21 employees some of which work from home or other locations. I have an email in the name of the business but most inter-staff conversation is through our personal emails.

Overall, my thought (with full respect and agreement with the preceding posts) is that security is a matter of hardware, software, and most importantly training for your business employees.
I can manage the hardware part but security software is above my level of tech expertise, which is where my problem arises.

Ralston18

Titan
Very sure that you are busy enough with just daily matters at hand.

However, it will be very worthwhile if you first find some time to familiarize yourself with some of the basic concepts.

I.e., "Best Practices".

Starter links - you can easily find other readings and tutorials:

https://businessfirstfamily.com/small-business-security-best-practices/

https://www.business2community.com/...st-practices-for-your-small-business-02238385

I am not endorsing the above links - just presenting the links as a way for you to learn.

Search criteria being "security software for small business best practices". You can vary the search criteria as necessary for your personal and business requirements.

Even just some general subject matter knowledge will help you decide and do what is most likely to benefit your business. Always the trade-offs with respect to time, money, benefits. And perhaps keep you from being taken advantage of....

Another thought: Do you have a trusted employee that you can, at some point, delegate to do the security work?

Small business owners all too often try to take on too much - delegation is an important skill.