Question Help selecting desktop power supply

wolfsmane

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2014
I have a older home built desktop running Windows 10.
My current power supply is a Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Bronze.
Gigabyte GA-P45T-ES3G Motherboard.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz CPU.
4 sticks of Geil 4GB PC3-12800 CL9-9-9-28 1.5V ram, 16GB total.
ASUS GTX760 Graphics card.
1 - SSD running the OS
4 - HDD for storage
2 - DVD burners

The PSU blew out a resistor and died.

It's been so long since I built this computer, that I can't remember what is best in a PSU for this set up. I would like a PSU that will not only work for this set up, but will also work in a similar set up when this system dies or becomes obsolete.
When the time comes that I have to replace this computer with a newer model, it will not be used for gaming. The hardest thing this computer does is photo and video editing and storage, and general web surfing, video streaming. That is also what a new desktop will do for me, when the time comes. I hope for this one to last until Windows 10 is no longer supported.

I know I want a completely modular PSU, 750W -1000W, power efficient, low noise, doesn't need pretty lights.

Other than that, I don't know what else I need to look for.

I would be much appreciate if someone could point out a couple of good PSU's that would fit my needs please.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Then, you simply need a good quality PSU. It does NOT need to be 750-1000W unless you were looking at a high-end gaming rig.

Assuming it's a quality unit, then 550W would be more than enough for your current system. A future system would likely be in the same range, though far more capable.

Maybe 650W if you think you might actually upgrade to a serious video card.

See the first two links in my signature. The second one is if "it MUST keep within a tight budget" - the first one is a must read for PSUs.

EDIT: if you're willing to deal with a mail-in rebate, then this is pretty hard to beat:

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-...a-650w/p/N82E16817139232?Item=N82E16817139232

$84.99, with a $20 mail-in rebate.

Reactions: wolfsmane

wolfsmane

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2014
Thanks for the quick replies. I will read those, when I get a few minutes to myself. Also, I don't
need budget psu's. I was planning on paying out $125ish, give or take. Obviously a quality psu
for that price with a mail in rebate is a good thing.

I realize the 750 is overkill for this set up, but I have always wanted to be able to add to the set up
if I ever needed to, without having to upgrade the psu also.

To add - future rig would probably being running a graphics card capable of dual HDMI outputs in 4K, if that's even a thing, lol. That is really the only that I wished I had now.
Also, I remember reading back then when I was getting this rig together, that I want a PSU that has Active PFC. Is that still a thing to look out for, because some of the psu's that I have been looking at, don't mention that.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
That's not my area of expertise, but:

All of Corsair's PSUs have active power factor correction.

That said, it doesn't require a lot of GPU horsepower to run dual 4K monitors if you're not gaming, therefore, it won't require some power-chugging high end GPU for that.

wolfsmane

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2014
That's not my area of expertise, but:

That said, it doesn't require a lot of GPU horsepower to run dual 4K monitors if you're not gaming, therefore, it won't require some power-chugging high end GPU for that.

Thanks

The psu wattage you need is primarily gated by the graphics card.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
On the chart, a GTX760 would need about 500w.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say by 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

What you really DO want is quality.
The easiest way is to look for a unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Often, there is not a big difference in price between 550/650/750w units,
This $98 seasonic GX550w unit has a 10 year warranty:
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-550-gold-ssr-550fx-550w/p/N82E16817151189
But, the 650w is $130, and the 750w unit is $105 after a $30 rebate.
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-750-gold-ssr-750fx-750w/p/N82E16817151187

wolfsmane

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2014
The psu wattage you need is primarily gated by the graphics card.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
On the chart, a GTX760 would need about 500w.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say by 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

What you really DO want is quality.
The easiest way is to look for a unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Often, there is not a big difference in price between 550/650/750w units,
This $98 seasonic GX550w unit has a 10 year warranty:
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-550-gold-ssr-550fx-550w/p/N82E16817151189
But, the 650w is $130, and the 750w unit is $105 after a $30 rebate.
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-750-gold-ssr-750fx-750w/p/N82E16817151187

Thanks geofelt! I was already looking at the SS 750W. But then I saw this Super Flower that is $120 after coupon code. What do yall think about this? I realize it is overkill for my set up now, but gives me flexibility later.

https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-v-gold-pro-sf-850f14tg-850w/p/1HU-024C-00039

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Another to consider:

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-...a-750w/p/N82E16817139233?Item=N82E16817139233

RM750x, 750W, 10 year warranty, $104.99, less the $20 rebate, for $84.99.

EDIT: if you check through the Corsair PSUs on NewEgg, you'll also see RMx models that say (2021) in them. They run a little more money, but are a 2021 redesign of the RMx models.

The older versions, however, are still an excellent design.

Last edited:

wolfsmane

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2014

wolfsmane

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2014
Good choice; you get the idea..
850w is not too much if you might consider a 3080 class card in the future for 4k gaming.

Thanks geo. I am an older guy. I would like to play some games, but I quit playing back when wolfenstein came out. Those 3d style games messed with my head to the point of making me nauseous and giving me a migraine. THAT and I also could never master using a keyboard versus a controller, so I just drifted away from trying to play them. I can't even imagine what a good VR game would do to me, LOL

Thanks geo. I am an older guy. I would like to play some games, but I quit playing back when wolfenstein came out. Those 3d style games messed with my head to the point of making me nauseous and giving me a migraine. THAT and I also could never master using a keyboard versus a controller, so I just drifted away from trying to play them. I can't even imagine what a good VR game would do to me, LOL
FWIW, I am likely to exceed your age.
Look to turn based strategy games like the civilization series.
The only reason I use a 3070 is to allow my LG 4k TV to run at 120hz refresh rate.
FS2020 needs a good graphics card also.

The thing to concentrate on for games is the single thread performance.
Currently, the intel 12th gen processors do the best.
Try and run CPU-Z bench on your Q6600.
You should get something like 265:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/vs26fc
The new I5 12400 should do 700.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

This also reminds me... back in the old days, before proper 3D rendering, when we had games like Doom or Duke Nukem in the 90s, I played, but I always had trouble with mentally mapping/handling the spatial aspect. It's like somehow, my brain couldn't entirely grasp it as a three-dimensional space.

When we got to proper 3D stuff, even as primitive as Quake, up to the modern 3D shooters, I manage them better, in terms of being able to get a gauge on my positioning.

My son's 3DS, though? It was a few years ago, but holy crap, I remember how that would give me a headache in under a minute!

I don't know if I would be able to manage VR, though. Never tried it, yet, but I've been falling behind on gaming (and was never a heavy gamer in the first place).

Touching on @geofelt 's post - yeah, if you were updating TODAY, it seems like the 12th gen Intel i5 is the way to go, at least for gaming. I don't personally know what photo/video editing's demands are (I suspect more cores/threads help there - but don't quote me on that!), but that's a question to ask when you're in a position to build a new system.

wolfsmane

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2014
I will be hitting 60 this year, so yeah, old LOL!

My daughter was asking about me building her a gaming rig like her step brother has, that he uses to VR game on. I was talking to him about which Intel ( I prefer Intel over AMD)is the latest greatest for use in that type set up and he informed me that AMD is much better now versus Intel. That was a little shocking since I was last looking, Intel was hands down better than AMD.

So, I was a little surprised when yall said the Intel i5 was the best lol. When I was buying this Q6600, AMD was considered crap.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I will be hitting 60 this year, so yeah, old LOL!

My daughter was asking about me building her a gaming rig like her step brother has, that he uses to VR game on. I was talking to him about which Intel ( I prefer Intel over AMD)is the latest greatest for use in that type set up and he informed me that AMD is much better now versus Intel. That was a little shocking since I was last looking, Intel was hands down better than AMD.

So, I was a little surprised when yall said the Intel i5 was the best lol. When I was buying this Q6600, AMD was considered crap.
Yeah, toward the end of the AM3 era, AMD was pushing older architecture a bit hard. And Intel sat on its laurels, definitely ahead of AMD, but offering only minimal increments in performance every cycle, generation, and requiring a new motherboard every generation.

When Ryzen was introduced, Intel was put on notice. Took them a while, but they finally got off of their behinds and started making significant improvements, albeit with some mis-steps along the way.

I have a older home built desktop running Windows 10.
My current power supply is a Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Bronze.
Gigabyte GA-P45T-ES3G Motherboard.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz CPU.
4 sticks of Geil 4GB PC3-12800 CL9-9-9-28 1.5V ram, 16GB total.
ASUS GTX760 Graphics card.
1 - SSD running the OS
4 - HDD for storage
2 - DVD burners

The PSU blew out a resistor and died.

It's been so long since I built this computer, that I can't remember what is best in a PSU for this set up. I would like a PSU that will not only work for this set up, but will also work in a similar set up when this system dies or becomes obsolete.
When the time comes that I have to replace this computer with a newer model, it will not be used for gaming. The hardest thing this computer does is photo and video editing and storage, and general web surfing, video streaming. That is also what a new desktop will do for me, when the time comes. I hope for this one to last until Windows 10 is no longer supported.

I know I want a completely modular PSU, 750W -1000W, power efficient, low noise, doesn't need pretty lights.

Other than that, I don't know what else I need to look for.

I would be much appreciate if someone could point out a couple of good PSU's that would fit my needs please.
My Recent build was on Core 2 Quad Q8400 8GB DDR3 and GT 1030 2GB GDDR5....

I used Coolermaster MWE 450. 80+ bronze V2 PSU..
And (that build is just one month old) working nicely.. without any random shutdowns or any similar issues

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
My Recent build was on Core 2 Quad Q8400 8GB DDR3 and GT 1030 2GB GDDR5....

I used Coolermaster MWE 450. 80+ bronze V2 PSU..
And (that build is just one month old) working nicely.. without any random shutdowns or any similar issues
While an ok, PSU, that's on the list of "if you have to absolutely, positively keep the PSU price down to a minimum" rather than a "highly durable, recommended for long term and future expansion" type.

While an ok, PSU, that's on the list of "if you have to absolutely, positively keep the PSU price down to a minimum" rather than a "highly durable, recommended for long term and future expansion" type.
There was a reason to go with Entry-level budget PSU... Core2 Quad PCSs are Cheaper to build . My spending half of the Money in PSU with cheap builds. Is just not make sense in Quad core PSU..