Help selecting the best graphic card for my buck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi,

I am planing on building a new computer from strach very very soon. I have never built a computer for so I not even sure what pitfalls I should look out for. One thing that I am very confused and stuck on is what kind of graphics card I should get.

I have decided that I want to get something based on the geforce chipset. I am however unsure as to what brands are good. I will be using my graphics card for gamming. Will I need like 64 meg of ram of will 32 be enough.

Thanks for your help..

limeman

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I like the Hercules/Guilemot Prophet II line of GeforceII cards... as to which particular one, you don't right now really need 64MB for today's games, but it may help for future ones. If you can afford it get a 32MB DDR one, and you should be fine for a nice while. If you really have money, get a pro or an (gulp) Ultra:)

but even the MX is pretty decent... you really can't get too wrong -- It mostly depends on how much you can afford:)

G

Yeah, just watch out for SDR memory as all the geforce are dependent on memory for their speed.

"The answer is not in your hair."
"I'd rather jump in the lava than be fragged by you."

jeffg007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I got the Hercules/Guilemot Prophet II pro and it kicks ass. I run every game at max rez and 32 bit color. The gaphics are awsome. I mostly play deer hunter 4 and UT.

Since this is your first build make sure you get the latest driver for every thing such as via 4 in 1 drivers, video card, bios. And Always Read the manual! It will help you out.
Also down load 3dmark2000 and run it after you get all your divers installed. That will tell how stable your system is as it will stress it very well. Go to download.com and type it in the search Engine.

My sytem.
abit kt7-raid
t-bird 700@850
2 30 gig ibm deskstars ata 100 raid 0
Hercules/Guilemot Prophet II pro 64megs
256 memory from http://www.1stchoicememory.com/
12/10/32a plexor burner
tornado case loud but good.
artic siver compound from www.outsideloop.com
globalwin fop32 loud but good.

this config works and is fast!

Jeff

G

If you get a Geforce2 MX be aware the ones with the DDR memory have half the memory bandwidth as the SDR cards and do nothing to help the bottleneck with the memory.

Eek!

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I think that the "best bang for the buck" cards would be the GeForceMX based ones.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I disagree wholeheartedly, I think the best bang for the buck right now are the gforce 256 with DDR (4 pipelines as compared to two).....Still better than an mx and about the same price.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
GF2 great card ... Guilemot Pro better value than Ultra (memory jacked to 4.5-5 ns, Ultra 4 ns and higher processor speed, processor not needed any fast seeing as memory is the bottleneck)

If GF2's too expensive then the MX or GF ddr. MX less expensive and slow with newer tech.

<b> Fragg at will!!! </b>

G

Reply about the tornado card-The companies address is inno3d.com and you can buy them at bunta.com I'm planning on getting a GF2 MX Tornado.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS