rusbyr

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2004
Ok, I am looking for the smoothest way to upgrade a server. However Upgrading a servers motherboard with a different board/chipset makes you have to build a new Server OS.

I am currently Running a Windows 2000 server w/exchange 5.5/SQL/IIS/PROXY/DNS/DHCP services. This server runs like clock work and serves pretty well. However I am getting ready to do some audio/video streaming services and it needs to be upgraded from the 800mhz to something newer and faster.

Does ANYONE have an IDEA of what approach to take, so that this process does not take a whole weekend?

The server is currently running an ASUS P2B-S with an Intel P2 800 proc. I'd like to find a board with the same or backward compatible chipset in order to avoid BlueScreens or full Reinstalls.

Any other approach or recommendations would be welcomed.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The Server will not go into new hardware setup without reinstall. What you can do is build a new machine, set it up with programs like the other one, make a backup of databases and files and restore them on the new machine. That way you will have all the stuff in place, yet the new machine.

All the putting togethers will take about 5 hours (depends how quick your hands are;)

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you running one P3-800 or two? You can double the speed just by dropping in another processor.

I run dual P3-800s on a P2B-D myself.

*Dual PIII-800 @900 i440BX and Tualeron 1.2 @1.7 i815*