Question Help setting up (AIO) fan modes in BIOS

abyss010

Reputable
Mar 16, 2021
I have a Corsair H100 AIO and some standard Arctic fans. My motherboard is an MSI Z490

Would anyone be able to advise which modes to set my fans? I am mostly puzzled about my AIO. I can't find much information on this model as it seems most people have the newer ones.

The CPU temperatures are very good, around 38-40c idle (im guessing summer plays a factor) and 65c while gaming but I never actually changed these settings until getting this new AIO, so I would like to confirm it's right as to avoid any damage. I've never had a liquid cooler before.

Currently I have CPU_FAN set to PWM mode and all SYS_FAN set to DC.

CPU_FAN was automatically set to Auto/DC so I changed it to PWM.
Reverting CPU_FAN to DC seems to go right down to 0RPM with no movement, but PWM makes it run at around 3000PM. Is this correct?

Changing some of the other SYS_FANs to PWM results in higher RPM and louder PC. One of the RPM falls lower if changed from DC to PWM (maybe this is the AIO fan, I need to check which one its plugged into).

I have the Corsair pump in CPU_FAN (as instructed) and it's fans in a SYS_FAN header, other case fans are also in SYS_FAN headers.

I believe the pump is 3-pin.

I have "CPU Cooler Tuning" in MSI BIOS set to Water Cooler.

Also, it says "Do not utilize voltage fan control on the CPU_FAN header with the pump connected for the best performance experience." in the AIO online manual but I'm not technically literate enough to understand, so would appreciate an explanation.

Really, I could just be overthinking but hearing some perspective is good

Last edited: