[SOLVED] Help someone please, my cat ruined my computer and I need help.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
So I tried booting up and I got to the media creation screen, but I can’t get into windows the USB drive doesn’t appear as a drive to install windows on or anything it’s just an empty box
What kind of USB drive are you using. It should be a normal thumb drive - not a USB SSD Data Drive

Shleep223

Prominent
Feb 1, 2022
For the voltmeter:
Harbour Freight Tools if you have one near you.

If not, just try any Home Depot, Lowes, or local hardware store. Harbour Freight is the cheapest, but any of the others will do in a pinch.

As for where it is on the board, that you have to talk to the support guys for your motherboard manufacturer.
Understandable, but if that’s the case and something funny is happening with the voltages does that mean it’s my board or the power supply

Shleep223

Prominent
Feb 1, 2022
What kind of USB drive are you using. It should be a normal thumb drive - not a USB SSD Data Drive
Either way that’s still not much of an explanation I can get into the media creation tool but then what should be done next I cannot install windows to the drive

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Understandable, but if that’s the case and something funny is happening with the voltages does that mean it’s my board or the power supply
I'm going to draw on 40 years of ET experience and hazard a guess.

If you're seeing voltage at all, the PS is usually not the problem. More than likely it's the board itself, especially if its funny business going on.

If you don't have voltage at all, first suspect is always the power supply.

I replaced the mother board and power supply because my board was bricked the and supply was fried, my CPU (ryzen 5800X) my GPU (EVGA FTW3 3060ti) and my sticks of ram (Corsair vengeance Pro RGB) were all still working fine.
You replaced PSU.
Were both PSUs modular?
Did you also replace all the modular PSU cables to cables from new PSU?
People sometimes get lazy, don't replace them (try to reuse incompatible cables) and end up with fried components.

Using wrong modular cables can kill/damage hardware connected.

Shleep223

Prominent
Feb 1, 2022
You replaced PSU.
Were both PSUs modular?
Did you also replace all the modular PSU cables to cables from new PSU?
People sometimes get lazy, don't replace them (try to reuse incompatible cables) and end up with fried components.

Using wrong modular cables can kill/damage hardware connected.
As I said before yes I replaced all the wires

Shleep223

Prominent
Feb 1, 2022
I'm going to draw on 40 years of ET experience and hazard a guess.

If you're seeing voltage at all, the PS is usually not the problem. More than likely it's the board itself, especially if its funny business going on.

If you don't have voltage at all, first suspect is always the power supply.
That’s what I had assumed I went out yesterday and returned the board and got another one and I returned my PSU I got just to be safe, bought the same exact model tho. And a new case hooked everybrimg up and wha bam!! Still not sure what the overall problem was can really only speculate that it was a faulty Motherboard(s). So thank you everyone that tried to help! Y’all have been great, I hope y’all have a great rest of your days and lives.

Reactions: sitehostplus

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
That’s what I had assumed I went out yesterday and returned the board and got another one and I returned my PSU I got just to be safe, bought the same exact model tho. And a new case hooked everybrimg up and wha bam!! Still not sure what the overall problem was can really only speculate that it was a faulty Motherboard(s). So thank you everyone that tried to help! Y’all have been great, I hope y’all have a great rest of your days and lives.
No problem. Glad to see only money was harmed here.

Hopefully you are cat proofing your new PC. 😁