[SOLVED] Help! SSD Sata data cable melted.

Apr 1, 2021
Hi all, recently tried to add a new SSD to my PC.
Originally only had a 1TB M.2 drive so, bought and installed an additional Samsung Evo 870 internal today.

Mobo is:
ROG zenthi ii extreme

PSU is:
EVGA 1600 G+ supernova

Connected the sata data cable to one of the 8 free sata ports on the mobo (according to the manual they are all Sata 3 - 6gb/s, i used the top left one first)
Connected the power cable to the mobo (not directly to the PSU)
The power cable is from the power supply (this is a relatively new PC and all cables are from the original parts so, no mixing of cables from other PSU or anything like that)

On first boot, the drive was picked up and worked fine for about an hour.
Then an hour later the drive was not being picked up at all.
Tried reinstalling the drive (and putting the sata data cable into a different sata port on the mobo, this time used the bottm right one)

When I turned on the PC the second time the cable started smoking so I quickly turned off the power.
Upon inspection, the sata DATA cable (not the power cable) was melted on both ends.
The cable was far more melted on the SSD side than on the mobo port side (but both were melted nevertheless)
The power cable (connected to the mobo) was fine and had no damage and was not even hot/warm.

I attempted to use another data cable and plugged it into another (different from the first two attempts, this time middle left) mobo sata port.
Second cable also started smoking/melting immediately but I turned off the PC even faster this time so melting only occurred slightly on the SSD side of the data cable (the mobo side of the cable was warm but not yet melted through the cable).
Again, the power cable was fine (no damage and not even warm)

Removed the SSD and all related cables and everything in the PC is working fine. No internal damage or issues with anything else. PC boots up fine and works just like it did before.

What gives? Is it likely:

a fault SSD
a problem with having connected the SSD power via the mobo and not directly into the PSU
a PSU problem (I've read something about cable pins in other posts but I'm using the cables that came with the PSU and every power cable has the exact same pin layout)

I would really appreciate any insight into what cause this. Thank you.
Also, how likely is it that the sata ports on my mobo are now busted (the ones that I used when the cables melted)

Solution
What is that?
Connected SATA power cable to the mobo (not directly to the PSU)
Did you connect sata power cable (from PSU modular cable package) to some of EATX_12V connectors on motherboard?
That's not a supported way for connecting sata power.
Why did you think that would be ok?

EATX_12V plugs are for supplying power to cpu (not for connecting some other random cables).
Your SSD is most likely dead. Probably sata ports on motherboard too.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When you state "Connected the sata data cable to one of the 8 free sata ports on the mobo (according to the manual they are all Sata 3 - 6gb/s, i used the top left one first) ", where do we look?
D9EE3A53-F9A7-4D99-B8ED-28EF56F2FABB

Mind elaborating on that?

What case are you working with? On another note, I think you might want to test the SSD on another build and then circle back to your build with a brand new cable(while on the donor and later your system to rule out that the issue only happens with your system and not the SSD). You might want to also state where you sourced the SATA data cables from. Are they the ones bundled with the motherboard?

In case you have warranty on the motherboard, you might want to bring the seller and Asus into the matter(via Email) and let them know of what has happened. I'm thinking you might have a grounding issue...why do you need a 1.6KW PSU again?

What is that?
Connected SATA power cable to the mobo (not directly to the PSU)
Did you connect sata power cable (from PSU modular cable package) to some of EATX_12V connectors on motherboard?

EATX_12V plugs are for supplying power to cpu (not for connecting some other random cables).

Solution
Apr 1, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When you state "Connected the sata data cable to one of the 8 free sata ports on the mobo (according to the manual they are all Sata 3 - 6gb/s, i used the top left one first) ", where do we look?

Thanks for the swift reply.
Bottom right side of the board.

Mind elaborating on that?

As SkyNetRising pointed out, this is probably the root of the problem.
Like an idiot, I connected the power cable from the PSU to the mobo (it fit and being stupid I didn't think twice as I bought the SSD sans manual/brackets/anything)

EATX_12V are obviously NOT for SSD power. Expensive lesson learned. Luckily it seems like the rest of the PC didn't take any damage.

I will have to get a replacement SSD and check which SATA ports are still working (if any)

The 1.6KW PSU is to feed the hungry beast (Titan RTX) and anything else that might be needed. The machine is specifically for AI training and research.

Will post back once I've (hopefully) connected the new SSD correctly.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021

Because I am an idiot.

You're quite right and have identified the problem. Much appreciated.

I will try to connect a new SSD correctly to the PSU and see which, if any, of my other SATA ports still work. Hopefully at least one is still functioning (I used 3 while connected to the EATX_12V connectors) so I'm hoping that at least 1 of the 5 others still work. Holding thumbs.

The SSD is definitely dead, expensive lesson learned.

Apr 1, 2021
What is that?

Quick question to double check and avoid doing anything dumb again.

Can I connect the sata power cable (from PSU modular cable package) directly to the PSU (in any of the sata labelled ports) and connect that same cable directly to my SSD?

Can I connect the sata power cable (from PSU modular cable package) directly to the PSU (in any of the sata labelled ports) and connect that same cable directly to my SSD?
All modular cables supplied with PSU get connected - one end to PSU, the other end to respective target device (or multiple same type target devices).
Cables should be clearly labeled to avoid any confusion.

@fzabkar

I strongly recommend against bypassing any such protections.

Why do such a thing?

Even with good reasons any soldering/wire links are likely to end badly with respect to the way PCBs are being manufactured.

Just confused and wondering about the post?
If the protection device is the only damaged component, then you can bypass it. Sure, I would test all the onboard supplies for shorts, and I could show the OP how to do this. The alternative is to replace the protection device, but how many end users would be capable of this?

If the user's aim is data recovery, and they don't want to pay $$$, and they don't have soldering skills, then my solution is the only reasonable option. Otherwise I am interested in your alternative approach. Be aware that most data recovery shops wouldn't know what to do, and those that do know what to do would bypass the protection.

BTW, I have repaired, or shown others (including DR shops) how to repair, hundreds of similar faults. How many have you repaired?

Edit:

Here is a typical case where the protection device has failed, but the rest of the board has survived:

https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31458

How many people would be able to do as the OP in that thread did? In fact the OP could have used a wire link to bypass the e-fuse.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
I [full disclosure] have no alternative approaches nor have I made repairs to such faults per se.

However, bear in mind that I did not know that you have such skills and abilities. There is way too much "uncertainty" with some things that get posted on the internet in any number of forums, free lance websites, and YouTube etc..

OP's may or may not have the necessary skills or access to someone who does.

And in other cases, people,through no fault of their own, just totally do not correctly understand and/or are otherwise unable to grasp directions....

Remember that Tom's is world wide forum. Language problems occur and not at all the fault of the posters. English has some (actually more than some ) bizzaire aspects. :)

However, I have learned that most non-English speakers do far much better with English than I could ever do with their language. A credit to those Posters.

Bottom line: Key is to ensure that the OP (any OP in any thread) understands the potential risks and trade-offs no matter what is being recommended and who recommends it.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
I know it's solved but I'm simply amazed by how something like this is even remotely possible. How does a power supply cable fit an EPS header? and why was that header carrying current?

That board and power supply alone tell me this is probably a build that costs far beyond 2 grand, in comparison mine was like $550 and I had to save for almost 3 years to get it.

Apr 1, 2021
I know it's solved but I'm simply amazed by how something like this is even remotely possible. How does a power supply cable fit an EPS header? and why was that header carrying current?

That board and power supply alone tell me this is probably a build that costs far beyond 2 grand, in comparison mine was like $550 and I had to save for almost 3 years to get it.

The rig is indeed well over 2 grand, around 8 actually. It was specifically built for AI training.

I am also amazed that the psu power cable fit into the mobo slot but that's what happened due to my idiocy.

The good news is that the SSD is working fine with no damage (we sent it back for testing and the supplier confirmed it is working fine in two different PCs on their end)

However, now I'm struggling to get the drive to be detected in Ubuntu.
In BIOS the drive is picked up and I can rename it but when we boot up in the OS/Ubuntu its doesn't pick it up.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021
Samsung's SSDs have protection devices on the +5V input. If you are lucky, you can bypass this protection with a blob of solder or a wire link.

If you can upload detailed photos of each side of the PCB, I will be able to show you what to do.

Thanks for the offer but the SSD is actually fine (amazingly) The supplier tested it in 2 PCs and they confirmed the drive is working fine.

The trouble is that I can't detect the drive in Ubuntu.
The drive is picked up in BIOS and I have the option to rename/secure wipe it but once I boot up Ubuntu then it does not detect the drive.

Surely if the Sata ports are all fried from the original mistake then it wouldn't pick up the drive in BIOS?
Any ideas/suggestions?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021
All modular cables supplied with PSU get connected - one end to PSU, the other end to respective target device (or multiple same type target devices).
Cables should be clearly labeled to avoid any confusion.

So, amazingly, the SSD is fine (the supplier tested it and confirmed it is working fine in two other PCs)

I have since connected the drive correctly.

The problem is that now the SSD is not being detected in Ubuntu or Windows.
We can see the drive in BIOS and can rename/secure wipe it but it just doesn't come up in either OS.

If all the Sata ports were busted/fried then surely the drive wouldn't be readable in BIOS?