Help, thinking of Radeon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, unless your using win2k your wont have as many problems as me.

"A masochist walked up to a sadist, and said 'Hurt me'. The sadist said 'No' and walked away."

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well while I’m waiting to try to decide about AIW card. Borrowed Friends Rage Fury Pro and so far I don’t like it. The install program crashes right away. According to ATI Win 98 does not contain drivers so I tried to manually install drivers from the ATI CD. There are drivers in 2 spots on the CD and both do not work. Further the plain old vga drivers crash too. Got 16 color 640 by 480. Currently loading latest drivers from ATI.

Speaking of which what a pain in the @rse. The dam site had several pages of instruction on how to identify which ATI product you have based on a 102 number. Of course this number is in tiny print and when you finally write down all 13 numbers they tell you only the first 10 matter. That wouldn’t be so bad except at the very bottom of the page they explain that to 102 number database is not on line so you need to contact them.WTF? So I try to identify based on description but the dam ATI cards all have similar names so this proves impossible (narrowed it down to 2). Tried software utility claimed to be on install disk but it was not there. Finally downloaded utility and identified the card as a 63202. ATI calls this a Rage Fury Pro in some places and a Rage 128 Pro in others. I was told it was an Expert 2000 but it aint. Anyway so far I hate ATI and very well may not get an AIW.

I am not doing a clean install and I don’t want to on this system. If I can’t get it to work on this system it is going in the new one and if it doesn’t work in the new system then I will not buy AIW.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Go For the ATi Radeon 32mb or 64mb. they have the best hardware dvd decoder out there.

Cel 533 - 256mb sdram
15gb HD - ati radeon 32mb ddr (200/200)
SB live! mp3+ - win98 Beos

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LakeDude: It doesn't matter what Rage 128 (pro) based card you have - There is only one driver for all Rage 128 / Rage 128 Pro based cards (excluding the AIWs). The file you want is wme_w98_r128_4_12_6292.exe or it might be called winme_4126292.exe now. You're making it much more complicated then it is.

The Rage Fury Pro / Rage 128 Pro confusion is because the card is the Rage Fury Pro, and the graphics chip it uses is the Rage 128 Pro. The Expert 2000 Pro uses the same chip (and the same driver).

-JW

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the explanation

Got the drivers loaded and the card works fine as a normal video card now. My deal is VIVO and I still cannot get the DVD/VIVO applications to load off the disk. I got some crappy ATI media player to work but it does not record nor will it play an entire DVD. It does play single MPG2 files but that doesn’t help me much.

A friend just bought a system with a rage 128 and the demo that comes with it is really cool. His works perfect. Maybe I got a bad CD. The friend that I stole the card from used it with Factory loaded software and it worked fine in his system.

In ATI’s defence I can remember confusion with my old TNT card too. The card maker was Diamond, the card's name was Viper550, the chip was made by nVidia, and the chips were called nVidia Riva TNT.

Gonna monkey with it tonight.

broggiemonster

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The latest drivers for the Radeon are ok...find them at www.rage3d.com.
Don't overclock the Radeon...some of them blow up as I found to my cost. Tell you what though when you set it up and the driver kicks in...what a change in picture quality...like night and day. Shame that they couldn't make them faster because if they did they'd slap Geforces all over the place.

Ray

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I think I add my 2 cents worth. My Radeon 64 VIVO retail works wonderfully. I rountinely watch TV either in the background, window or full screen. Quality is superior to my 21" TV set. I have my cable box hooked up directly to my Radeon. Browsing the web and watching TV at the same time is a breeze. I use WinMe and Win2K. Both work virtually flawless. I only use WinMe for games and W2K for everything else. DVD playback is topnotch and works in both operating systems as well as all other Multimedia Center programs. 32 bit games work wonderfully and fast enough for my taste. 2d quality on my 20" trinitron monitor is the best I've seen. Compared to a friends GTSII 2d I just laugh. The drivers from ATI are progressively getting better especially the W2k versions. I am a very happy camper. Initially I did have alot of problems back in October 2000, not anymore.

KA7 Athlon classic 700@800
WinMe/W2k
20" Trinitron
256mb pc133
3Com cable modem
Linksys 10/100 eithernet card
RADEON 64 VIVO retail (HOT!)

TRENDING THREADS