Question Help to fix an erroneous error code - ASRock H410m-ITX/ac

Nov 15, 2020
New PC build, getting 5 short beep error code on startup from mobo - ASRock H410M-ITX/ac. Appears this indicates "process error", either CPU or more likely, GPU.

But here's the weird bit:

I don't get the error beep when I restart, only when I start after a shut-down; and
Nothing's wrong, as best I can tell!

I've just finished stress testing and benchmarking the PC and everything looks good - GPU and PCU in particular, performing admirably and temps/workloads very comfortable.

Any thoughts? (Other than unplugging the mobo speaker?) I updated the GPU driver to version 457.30 (rel 09NOV20) but that didnt change the error. And updated BIOS to version 1.20 (07AUG20) but again, no change. I've tried default RAM speeds and the mobo max setting of 2933 - no effect on the error beep.

Thermaltake Core P1 Tempered Glass Mini-ITX Case
Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
ASRock H410M-ITX/ac LGA 1200 Mini-ITX Motherboard
Kingston A400 240GB M.2 2280 SSD (boot)
Intel Core i3 10100 Quad Core LGA 1200 3.60GHz – 4.30GHz CPU Processor
Thermaltake Smart RGB 500W Power Supply
Windows 10 Home OS unactivated
MSI Ventus RTX 2070 GPU
Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM
Samsung Evo 1TB SSD

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd ask you to ditch this part in your system;
for something more reliable.

Perhaps see if installing Intel MEI drivers as well helps alleviate the issue.

FYI, the board and processor will only allow you to get to DDR4-2666MHz so you either should've gone with a Z series chipset and K series processor or downgraded the sticks of ram.

Nov 15, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd ask you to ditch this part in your system;
for something more reliable.

Perhaps see if installing Intel MEI drivers as well helps alleviate the issue.

FYI, the board and processor will only allow you to get to DDR4-2666MHz so you either should've gone with a Z series chipset and K series processor or downgraded the sticks of ram.

Thanks Lutfij, to clarify your advice:

Re PSU: are you saying you think this could be a cause of the '5 x short beeps' error?

Re Intel MEI: I've run Intel Driver & Support Assistant which showed that all drivers were up to date. Can you advise on how to find a single driver on the Intel site, because I'm struggling.

Re RAM speed exceeding board capability: are you suggesting this is the cause of the error, and I should replace the RAM with slower sticks?

I feel like the fact this doesn't happen during a restart, but only from a cold start, is significant. But I don't know what it means? Something to do with capacitors draining? Do I need to adjust voltage settings in the BIOS ? Something along those lines seems logical, but beyond my knowledge/experience...

Nov 15, 2020
Or do I seriously just ignore the error code and unplug the mobo speaker? The computer boots fine, works fine. I've run benchmarks using 3D Mark, Unigine and Shadow of the Tomb Raider and all results are slightly better than expected. Should I stop looking too hard and just enjoy the fact that everything's working well?

TRENDING THREADS