[SOLVED] Help To know the watts of this power supply

Solution
Look, it is easy, dont trust the model labels, I have seen them say Super 450, buts its 250w, "Super 450" is a model number not a descriptive of the product.
But people are lazy at reading the fine lines and the manufacturers knows this..

But you have a label with the 12v and related amperage to it, and if you apply the laws of Ohms (Voltages*Amperage = Watts) you get 12v * 18A = 216 Watts. + another 12v * 1A=12 Watts grand total of 228Watts in reality... so yeah not what you expected.

but now you know :)
Jun 29, 2018
I dont get it , how such low crap garbage power supplies are allowed in the market to begin with...

for example , they wont allow Mobiles phones to be released if they dont pass some tests , but powersupplies are never monitored. while they can make a fire at home.

are these FCC stamps on them real or fake ?

Well for an oem machine they dont need much wattage so they pick whatever company can supply a working psu for the lowest price. Most psus are fine for their stock configuration and are at little fire/failure risk, however need to be replaced to upgrade.

Look, it is easy, dont trust the model labels, I have seen them say Super 450, buts its 250w, "Super 450" is a model number not a descriptive of the product.
But people are lazy at reading the fine lines and the manufacturers knows this..

But you have a label with the 12v and related amperage to it, and if you apply the laws of Ohms (Voltages*Amperage = Watts) you get 12v * 18A = 216 Watts. + another 12v * 1A=12 Watts grand total of 228Watts in reality... so yeah not what you expected.

but now you know :)

Solution
I have seen fsp group power supplys work the best in oem pcs. Fsp does make enthusiast gaming psus so they definitely have experience there. Delta is good aswell. Hp has made some very efficient psus, meaning they have nicer components inside allowing for high 80+ ratings. Some older hps ship with 230-250w 80+ gold power supplies. My corsair cx550m psu is onlu 80+ bronze. Higher wattage does make it harder to gain efficiency tho. My only experience with a dell psu was a really low quality hipro 250 watt unit that i used for parts.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
keep in mind that some of these are from rather old systems (though we know they still sell them like this still today)

back in the day you needed more watts on the 5v and 3.3v rails as many parts used it. but as time has passed the 12v rail is pretty much where the action is for the most part. no excuse for still making things like this now but from an older system, there was actually a reason for it.