[SOLVED] Help understanding cpu options

glasskuter1

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I’m kind of in the dark about something. I have a Dell Optiplex 3020 Mini-tower PC, i5-4570 @ 3.2 GHZ, socket 1150. 12gb ram. Fire Pro GPU. My mobo is stock Dell model 0vhwtr-a02 running bios version A20 (latest version on Dell site). I have been given a FREE i7-4770 CPU which is also socket 1150.
Since I’m a smoker about once a year I tear it down and clean everything and it’s time to change the thermal paste so I thought this would be a good time to change the cpu, because hey, it’s free so why not. However, in digging around in the bios I find some things that puzzle me. Under performance, it shows only 2 cores, both enabled. Speedstep is enabled, Turboboost is enabled. I see NO options for turning on hyperthreading. However, In Task Manager, it shows 4 cores with 4 processors which is correct for the i5. My first question is why is this? Doesn’t the bios control how many cores the computer is able to use and shouldn't they show the same?
Now, I know changing to this i7 won’t get me any great performance boost. But that is moot if I cannot enable hyperthreading so I won’t go to the trouble of trying to make it work. I am unable to find any info on this motherboard so my second question is does anyone know if this mobo supports hyperthreading? Should I just abandon this altogether and sell the i7 on ebay?

Solution
My guess is you need to clear the CMOS. On most motherboards there's a CMOS header of 2 pins that you short with something metallic like a screwdriver. Make sure you do this with the POWER OFF, preferably unplugged completely from the wall socket. After that, when you power it up, you may need to restore factory default settings.
My guess is you need to clear the CMOS. On most motherboards there's a CMOS header of 2 pins that you short with something metallic like a screwdriver. Make sure you do this with the POWER OFF, preferably unplugged completely from the wall socket. After that, when you power it up, you may need to restore factory default settings.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution