Help understanding what I need for fiber (Modem/Router)

mattangle

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012
I have recently discovered that fiber based internet is available and much cheaper for me where I currently leave the the comcast cable I've been using. I am looking to make the switch but from what I understand I buy the fiber through one company (Utopia fiber in Utah) and then I buy my isp from another company that works with them (Xmission). I believe I need to provide my own modem/router, and this is where I get a little confused. I understand the router is to change the signal from light based in fiber to electrical through wiring, so I googled some fiber modems on amazon and they aren't too expensive. My question is do I just plug that modem into a regular router and there's my wifi and ethernet ports? Do I need a special type or router, or a special type of all in one modem/router for fiber?

Solution
I read thru the Utopia FAQs. They install the fiber and the modem (this is the device that converts the optical signal to an electrical signal). You provide the router. This provides the wifi and the hard wired ethernet ports to your computer. A good one to look a,t is a Netgear R7000P.

I have Cox Gigabit fiber in AZ. The speed is fantastic!
I read thru the Utopia FAQs. They install the fiber and the modem (this is the device that converts the optical signal to an electrical signal). You provide the router. This provides the wifi and the hard wired ethernet ports to your computer. A good one to look a,t is a Netgear R7000P.

I have Cox Gigabit fiber in AZ. The speed is fantastic!

Solution

mattangle

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012

I read the Xmission FAQs that didn't say and didn't think about Utopias. Thank you for your awesome simply answer, above and beyond man. I've purchased that router on Amazon :D