[SOLVED] Help upgrading my PC

Nov 26, 2020
So far I have an EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card and an Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor and a Z170-A USB 3.1 10Gb/s ASUS motherboard.
Oh, and I don’t have much RAM, just a 4GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black of 4GB, although I am unaware of the specificities.
On top of that, I could get rid of a few of these components, meaning I could sell them.
I’m planning on buying a more powerful machine, for 2D animation and the last games e.g. Cyberpunk
So I really I need something that’s just a little bit better but not overkill.
My current budget atm is 150usd, although I could probably have some more If I sell some of the already functional parts.
This current build is at least 3 years old.
Please help me out choosing the models and brands that would align best with my intentions.

Solution
So far I have an EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card and an Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor and a Z170-A USB 3.1 10Gb/s ASUS motherboard.
Oh, and I don’t have much RAM, just a 4GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black of 4GB, although I am unaware of the specificities.
On top of that, I could get rid of a few of these components, meaning I could sell them.
I’m planning on buying a more powerful machine, for 2D animation and the last games e.g. Cyberpunk
My current budget atm is 150usd, although I could probably have some more If I sell some of the already functional parts.
This current build is at least 3 years old...
This current build is at least 3 years old.
Please help me out choosing the models and brands that would align best with my intentions.
You have only 4GB ram in total? One stick of 4GB? then I'd suggest adding 3 more of the same sticks to get 16GB. That should be the first step. You can't do much with $150, cause Intel forces you to upgrade your mobo. Id say RAM + any aesthetic upgrade like a better cooler or AIO or more fans. Or just get more ram and save the cash

If yiu sell them I don't know how much you can get but I suppose the entire system can get you like $800(?)

You could just sell the CPU and mobo and get new, ryzen maybe or 10th gen Intel, keep the ram and buy whatever it takes to get a total of 16GB. But i dont see the point in doing that if you're not gonna upgrade your GPU with it. 1080 isn't that aged yet. And Ampere budget GPUs aren't close to release

Solution
Nov 26, 2020
You have only 4GB ram in total? One stick of 4GB? then I'd suggest adding 3 more of the same sticks to get 16GB. That should be the first step. You can't do much with $150, cause Intel forces you to upgrade your mobo. Id say RAM + any aesthetic upgrade like a better cooler or AIO or more fans. Or just get more ram and save the cash

If yiu sell them I don't know how much you can get but I suppose the entire system can get you like $800(?)

You could just sell the CPU and mobo and get new, ryzen maybe or 10th gen Intel, keep the ram and buy whatever it takes to get a total of 16GB. But i dont see the point in doing that if you're not gonna upgrade your GPU with it. 1080 isn't that aged yet. And Ampere budget GPUs aren't close to release
Fair enough. Let's say I only wanted to upgrade my PC so that it can run all current Adobe programs and get a decent performance, i.e. without any lag... Would having the total 16GB Kingston RAM be sufficent for what I want?
I appreciate your help. Also, what GPU do you recommend below $200?
Oh and I have 2 Cooler Master fans.

Fair enough. Let's say I only wanted to upgrade my PC so that it can run all current Adobe programs and get a decent performance, i.e. without any lag... Would having the total 16GB Kingston RAM be sufficent for what I want?
I appreciate your help. Also, what GPU do you recommend below $200?
Oh and I have 2 Cooler Master fans.
GPU under $200? To replace a 1080? Nothing. If you can sell the 1080 for $200-250, you can expect to buy a 3060 or 3060 Ti when it comes out. Most likely the 3060 will be equal to a 1080 Ti in performance (2060=980 Ti, 1060 = 780 Ti, 3060 = 1080 Ti)

I don't think that's a worthwhile jump in performance, maybe if you spend closer to $450 you can get a 3060 Ti which is significantly faster.

I saw a crucial ballistix listing on pcpartpicker. 8×2 3200mhz $45. Crazy great price, pass on everything else for this. Otherwise 4×4 Kingston is the way to go to spend least amount of money. You can buy higher frequency ram but I don't tuink 6700K will benefit much

Nov 26, 2020
GPU under $200? To replace a 1080? Nothing. If you can sell the 1080 for $200-250, you can expect to buy a 3060 or 3060 Ti when it comes out. Most likely the 3060 will be equal to a 1080 Ti in performance (2060=980 Ti, 1060 = 780 Ti, 3060 = 1080 Ti)

I don't think that's a worthwhile jump in performance, maybe if you spend closer to $450 you can get a 3060 Ti which is significantly faster.

I saw a crucial ballistix listing on pcpartpicker. 8×2 3200mhz $45. Crazy great price, pass on everything else for this. Otherwise 4×4 Kingston is the way to go to spend least amount of money. You can buy higher frequency ram but I don't tuink 6700K will benefit much
I followed your advice and bought the Crucial Ballistix. It was considerably cheap. Thank you very much.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt