Question Help upgrading OS

PointThreeOEight

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019
I have a old Lenovo Z580 (Windows 8) I accidentally "refreshed" and it wiped all my apps ,and games.
It also was nice enough to provide plenty of refreshing bloatware.

I bought this years ago from newegg pre loaded with windows 8. I have no cd keys,disc,and hoping I can clean upgrade it to Win 10 free,but I have no idea what im doing. Windows is 8.0 and (win) update wants 1.5 gigs how do I safely just start new with 10 ?.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I have yet to encounter any machine that came with Windows 8 that does not run Windows 10 flawlessly, whether said machine is officially certified to or not.

Of course, before you'd even consider upgrading (and I would) you must obtain an external USB backup drive and take a full system image backup, and separate user data backup, using the utility of your choosing. You need to be doing this as a standard part of responsible computer ownership anyway (and, believe me, if you ever need it you will thank the heavens above that you have a backup from which to restore).

The upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 can still be done at no cost. Microsoft claims they closed the window, but I've done my most recent upgrade about 6 months ago, and know that several members here have reported back on theirs within days of today.

I would not, for a moment, hesitate to at least trying to upgrade to Windows 10.

USAFRet

Titan
Lenovo drivers or not, it should run Win 10 fine.
I have a 2009 era low end Toshiba laptop that originally came with Win Vista, I think.
Obviously, Tosh did not create new Win 10 drivers for this.

It has run Win 10 since Day One of the original Tech Preview.

PointThreeOEight

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019
I have yet to encounter any machine that came with Windows 8 that does not run Windows 10 flawlessly, whether said machine is officially certified to or not.

Of course, before you'd even consider upgrading (and I would) you must obtain an external USB backup drive and take a full system image backup, and separate user data backup, using the utility of your choosing. You need to be doing this as a standard part of responsible computer ownership anyway (and, believe me, if you ever need it you will thank the heavens above that you have a backup from which to restore).

The upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 can still be done at no cost. Microsoft claims they closed the window, but I've done my most recent upgrade about 6 months ago, and know that several members here have reported back on theirs within days of today.

I would not, for a moment, hesitate to at least trying to upgrade to Windows 10.
Yes I never liked windows 8,but dealt with it. About personal stuff its of no worry because it all got wiped by accident.

So what are the steps and order of making a back up if I have the usb just for the base install...I am ready to just start this laptop like new like when I bought it like 10 years ago.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes I never liked windows 8,but dealt with it. About personal stuff its of no worry because it all got wiped by accident.

So what are the steps and order of making a back up if I have the usb just for the base install...I am ready to just start this laptop like new like when I bought it like 10 years ago.
4 steps:

1. Create a Win 10 USB to install with.
  2. Copy off any personal files you wish to keep, if any. Save them to some other drive
  3. Upgrade the current Win 8 to Win 10. This can be done with the same Win 10 USB install you'll use in step 3.
  4. After the system is fully upgraded and activated with Win 10, do a full wipe and reinstall of Win 10. This gets you a pristine base OS install. No old gunk left lingering.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Presuming you have a Windows 8.1 (or 8, if early enough) instance you can boot in to, and you've already said you have no personal data, I'd suggest you try these instructions:

Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

You won't be reinstalling Windows 10, but will actually trigger an upgrade install, which will give you the option to keep your files and apps (which should be the default).

If you have the ISO file, it doesn't even need to be on USB to trigger either the upgrade from 8.1 to 10 nor to do the "install-over install" that USAFRet has recommended to make sure you have a completely clean baseline. Although this may start "a war" I've never had an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8/8.1 not function perfectly well just on the upgrade alone, and that was for systems with lots of data and use. The "install over install" is just extra insurance, and insurance some people definitely want.