Question Help upgrading PC (itx build)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ma3wa

Commendable
Aug 8, 2018
Hi!

So im thinking of replacing my motherboard, cpu and memory in my current chassi (because one is probably not working properly).

Specs:
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Chassi: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
PSU: OCZ ModXStream PRO 500W
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz, Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24) (2x2 GB dual + 4 GB)
Motherboard: MSI P67A-C45 (MS-7673) (SOCKET 0)
Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX 770 (2047MB)
Storage:1863GB Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 ATA Device (SATA )

I have had plans for building a smaller itx computer (never built a pc before). I also have an m2 SSD laying around which i would like to install.
I though maybe i could ease into it by buying an itx motherboard (+ new cpu and memory) and installing it into my current chassi. Then later i could buy an itx chassi and replace the other components.

This is the mobo im planning on getting: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITXac/#Specification
Not sure on which memory (probably corsair vengeance) or which ryzen cpu.

So here are my questions:

Will i be able to keep my gpu and fit it into the above motherboard? The mobo seems to fit my chassi: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/coolermaster/comments/4t7nu7/does_the_haf_912_plus_support_mini_itx_mbs/?ref=share&ref_source=embed&utm_content=title&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=521ad74c6fcf44f0915da2c9e54c53d4&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=4t7nu7

Just double checking that my Samsung 960 EVO intern M.2 SSD (250 GB) fits and will work well with this mobo?

How "hard" would this be, most cable work is already done but im guessing it wont just look the same when it comes to connectors/cables?

ma3wa

Commendable
Aug 8, 2018
If you don't intend to use a graphics card, you'll need a non-F CPU.
I will be using my gtx 770 untill i can afford a better gpu (or they become better value). However since this is quite old it does only support hdmi 1.2. I would need hdmi 2.0a or higher for 4k @ HDR ect. This is where im guessing intel HD 730 becomes helpful?

Last edited:

ma3wa

Commendable
Aug 8, 2018
AFAIK, you use one or the other (GTX770 or IGP). You can't get the GTX770 gaming prowess with the IGP connectivity. The machine will use whatever graphics engine is connected to a display cable (not both at the same time).
Ahh, thats too bad. Can anyone confirm?

Would it be a hassle to switch between the two hdmi outputs on the gpu and on the mobo (GTX770 or iGPU). I was thinking of using the gtx 770 when gaming, on the pc monitor (or on the TV at 1080p w.o. hdr) and using the igpu when watching movies/media to the 4K TV, like a htpc.

Could i benefit from the igpu or would it just be a waste? I guess its always nice to have if the gpu fails. Is there any other potential benefits from going for the igpu?

Would it be a hassle to switch between the two hdmi outputs on the gpu and on the mobo (GTX770 or iGPU). I was thinking of using the gtx 770 when gaming, on the pc monitor (or on the TV at 1080p w.o. hdr) and using the igpu when watching movies/media to the 4K TV, like a htpc.
Here's how I know you can do it. You'd have both the mobo and GPU connected to the TV via separate cables. When you boot the PC, you can enter the BIOS and select the "default graphics adapter" you want to use for that instance. Selecting IGP should disable the GTX770 and vice versa.

ma3wa

Commendable
Aug 8, 2018
Here's how I know you can do it. You'd have both the mobo and GPU connected to the TV via separate cables. When you boot the PC, you can enter the BIOS and select the "default graphics adapter" you want to use for that instance. Selecting IGP should disable the GTX770 and vice versa.
Seems to be possible to run dual monitors with the iGPU and graphics card at the same time: link
Doing this seems to allow the iGPU to be used on one monitor (in my case a 4K TV) and the gtx 770 to be used on the second (pc screen). Am i missing something?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No, that is correct, but you aren't using one to improve the other. And running an IGP does have an impact on the CPU. It will be heating up that section of the CPU and consuming system memory for the video buffer.

It is often recommended to use a discrete GPU for all display outputs when possible, but you don't have to.

Reactions: ma3wa and helper800

ma3wa

Commendable
Aug 8, 2018
No, that is correct, but you aren't using one to improve the other. And running an IGP does have an impact on the CPU. It will be heating up that section of the CPU and consuming system memory for the video buffer.

It is often recommended to use a discrete GPU for all display outputs when possible, but you don't have to.
Thank you, Intel 11400 it is then. Right now the build looks like this.

Chassis: Fractal Design Define Nano S Black
CPU: Intel Core i5-11400 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (1677 kr @ Proshop.se with promo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition (370 kr @ Amazon.se) or be quiet! Pure Rock 2 (397 kr @ Proshop.se)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B560-I (1890 kr @ Proshop.se)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Black DDR4 3600MHz 2x8GB (867 kr @ Amazon.se, (1x8 GB) x 2)
PSU: Unsure now that the new case support full ATX. Quietness matching the rest of the fans. Maybe EVGA BQ 750W (799 kr) or more expensive Fractal Design Ion+?

Suggestions?

Last edited:

ma3wa

Commendable
Aug 8, 2018
What are the options in your country for PSUs? Any corsair, seasonic, EVGA G2 or G3, antec earthwatts pro?
Sorry very late reply, been quite busy. I have now ordered everything except the PSU and CPU cooler. Im thinking of going for the Be Quiet! System Power 9 600W since its only about 600 kr and the hyper x 212 black edition for 370 kr. Any better options in this price range?

Sorry very late reply, been quite busy. I have now ordered everything except the PSU and CPU cooler. Im thinking of going for the Be Quiet! System Power 9 600W since its only about 600 kr and the hyper x 212 black edition for 370 kr. Any better options in this price range?
I would get a corsair, seasonic, superflower. What is the exact model name of the be quiet PSU you are looking at? They make some good PSUs and some very budget / bad ones.

ma3wa

Commendable
Aug 8, 2018
I would get a corsair, seasonic, superflower. What is the exact model name of the be quiet PSU you are looking at? They make some good PSUs and some very budget / bad ones.
Here it is: https://www.amazon.com/quiet-System-Power-Black-Supply/dp/B079K5YY31 or in my country: https://www.amazon.se/tyst-Systemef...&keywords=be+quiet+600&qid=1622120609&sr=8-13
It does have good reviews and may be hard to beat for the price (the other budget models from corsair does get alot of noise complaints)

Here it is: https://www.amazon.com/quiet-System-Power-Black-Supply/dp/B079K5YY31 or in my country: https://www.amazon.se/tyst-Systemeffekt-PLUS-Bronze-strömförsörjning/dp/B079K5YY31/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=be+quiet+600&qid=1622120609&sr=8-13
It does have good reviews and may be hard to beat for the price (the other budget models from corsair does get alot of noise complaints)
Its a lower end PSU for sure. You would be better off with a more well known mid-low end PSU like this one for the same price, or this one which is a very good PSU and much better than both but still not too much more.

Reactions: ma3wa