Help Upgrading

moulders

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
(1) Unless your Ram (DDR3-1866) is around the same price as DDR3-1600, I'd recommend going with the DDR3-1600. A qoute from a review on memory for SB systems. "DDR3-1600 CL9 is the sweet spot". The review also indivated that there was little diff between DDR3-1333 CL9 and DDR3-1600 CL9 and that if there was more than a $15 increase in the 1600 compared to the 1333 - go with the 1333. Also indicated that CL7 -> CL9 resulted in almost no improvement in user performance. There are limited software that can take advantage of the higher Bandwidth memory, not the case with your intended usage.

You indicated "watching films and gaming" You will NOT see a significant improvement between DDR3-1333 and DDR3-1866

Other choices look great, You omitted the PSU - make Darn sure that before you buy google for review and the the PSU is a QUALITY unit. It is a terrible feeling to watch a NEW system go up in smoke.

ulysses35

Distinguished
The parts you have chosen are a good match, but for the same money and free delivery you can get the same kit from www.ebuyer.co.uk - the only difference being you can get the ASUS GTX 560ti card without exceeding the budget you already have allocated

moulders

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Thanks for the advice After reading what you wrote and reading the memory write up on this site I think I will go with:

G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V

which is half the price of what I was previously going for.

I plan on using my currently PSU when I upgrade as its pretty new.

Thanks for reminding me about ebuyer its where i got my NZXT Phantom from, free delivery is always good!

One more question, When looking for a graphics cards is there a particular make you go for?

Not a gamer. What I would do (1) look for reviews of specific card and (2) Look at the reviews on Newegg.com read threw them, but take with a gran of salt. If the Model you are looking at has a higher 1/2 egg reviews than a compartive differnt brand, buy accordingly. PS I know your in UK and can noit buy newegg, but reviews there can be benefitial.

On Ram: Here is another link. I've pointed to the conclusison, but benchmarks are on previous pages.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/8