[SOLVED] Help! Using laptop as a second monitor

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
Hello.
I have a desktop PC, and I don't have room to use a regular monitor for a second monitor, so I tried using my windows 10 laptop as a second monitor.
Unfortunately, whenever i attempted to connect to it, it displayed an error saying I couldn't connect.
Upon further research I found out that its something to do with the nvidia drivers blocking the connection.

PC specs:
Ryzen 5 2600
GTX 1660 Ti
16 GB ram

if anyone can help me id appreciate it

Solution
The connectors for external displays on laptops, normally only support output.

Unless you have a laptop, which specifically has a connection for video input, or you have somekind of video capture device connected to your laptop, you can not use the laptop as a secondary display for your desktop, by connecting them with a HDMI cable or similar.

Unless you have a laptop, which specifically has a connection for video input, or you have somekind of video capture device connected to your laptop, you can not use the laptop as a secondary display for your desktop, by connecting them with a HDMI cable or similar.

Solution

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019

I have an elgato HD60 S capture card on hand. Would that work?

I have an elgato HD60 S capture card on hand. Would that work?

Unless Windows on your desktop can detect the Elgato capture card as a diplay / monitor, I can't see how it would enable the use of the Extended Desktop feature on Windows, so I suspect it would only work as a duplicate (live stream) of your main display - which wouldn't make the use of the laptop helpful in any way as a secondary display (except if a duplicate display is what you need).

But I don't have personal hands-on experience with any Elgato products, so I can't say for sure.

Last edited:

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
Unless Windows on your desktop can detect the Elgato capture card as a diplay / monitor, I can't see how it would enable the use of the Extended Desktop feature on Windows, so I suspect it would only work as a duplicate (live stream) of your main display - which wouldn't make the use of the laptop helpful in any way as a secondary display (except if a duplicate display is what you need).

But I don't have personal hands-on experience with any Elgato products, so I can't say for sure.
I was able to use the capture software to get a second video output, thanks

Reactions: MadsModsat