HELP vertex 4 ssd black screen problem

dycegamez

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Hello , ok I just bought the vertex 4 ssd 512 drive and its installed, so I install windows 7 64bit ultimate on it and it works fine but then when I do the first windows update it restarts and I see the windows logo , then it goes black and just hangs and dose nothing. I have a rampage 3 board, 980x i7 , 5970 4gb video card , I also have a raptor hdd installed as my back up . I have no idea how to fix this . please if anyone at all can help me I would be greatful. thank you

Sounds like your problem might be video card drivers related. Did you already install your video card drivers when your problem started? If so boot into Safe Mode and uninstall your drivers. Then reboot into Windows and let Windows install its own default video drivers.

Then try Windows update again and see what happens.

I would suggest that you start over. Update the drive version 1.5.1 and then Secure Erase the drive to restore it to fresh-out-of-the-box condition.

After the Secure Erase do another fresh Windows install.

Connect the drive to one of the Intel SATA 2 (3Gb/s) ports in AHCI mode.
After you successfully install Windows and install all of the updates you can then connect it to one of the Marvell SATA 3 (6Gb/s) ports in AHCI mode.

dycegamez

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
oh ok , can you help me on updating it , I downloaded the ocz toolbox but its giving me an error when trying to download the update, also how do you put it in ahci mode? its weird I installed windows 7 on the ssd and im on the desktop now , but if I install windows updates that's when it hangs after the windows logo on restart

You change SATA modes in your motherboards BIOS. You'll have to check your manual to see how to do it.

Your SSD has to be in AHCI mode in order to use the Toolbox.

If you don't want to start over then see if you can install Windows updates while in Safe Mode. Your system might not hang if you install in Safe Mode.

SATA ports can have 3 settings (modes): IDE, AHCI, & RAID. All SSDs need to be in AHCI mode for best performance. Being in IDE mode is probably why you were having your problems.

When changing from IDE to AHCI after Windows installation you need to edit your Windows Registry file.
Here's a link on how to edit the Registry file: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/content.php?286-Change-from-IDE-to-AHCI-after-Installation

Yes, "Configure SATA as" should be set to AHCI.

dycegamez

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
oh ok will try all that then report back , one more question another reason why im reboot my os is because I use avg and something happened that it woulnt pdate for some reason, so they told me I have to reboot and install Microsoft net framewok 1-4 in that order but Im installing windows 7 64bit ultimate is there a certain way I have to do this? thanks

dycegamez

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
ok I think I got it now to work , so how would I do this mirosoft netframe work think so I have all of them installed , I have older programs that need the older frameworks so theu told m to install them all, but I have to be careful and I tried theres to many diff ones not sure what ones to install for windows 7 64bit os , if you can help me out with links on them thatll help me out a lot , thanks