Question Help. Video went bad. Now PC won't boot. VCard or MoBo?

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
While I was working on my computer this morning, suddenly the display went wonky (Pink & corrupted) and froze.

When I reboooted, I was in 640x480 (2K monitor) with short white lines running thru my display..

Assuming the video card went bad (old GTX670), I shutdown, removed the card and tried replacing it with an old generic PCIe card. The computer refused to boot. Didn't even POST (fans & lights on MoBo. That's it.) I had to switch off the PSU to power off.

So I removed the old generic vcard and put the original 670 back in. Same result. No boot. No POST. Had to switch off the PSU to turn it off.

The MoBo is only a few months old (Asus Tuf Gaming X570). Ryzen 3100 cpu with no on-board graphics to test with.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Last thing I want to do is go thru the hassle of removing & RMA'ing the MoBo if it's not the problem. :(

TIA.

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
Thanks for the reply.

The PSU is a Platinum Corsair 860.
The monitor is a "Crossover" brand 30" 2K.

No chance the monitor is the problem. When I was still able to boot, only the displayed area had any artifacing (640x480 on a widescreen leaves a lot of empty screen area on the left/right) and wouldn't stop the computer from even POST'ing.

Also doubtful it's the PSU.. I was able to reboot and used the PC before I tried swapping the video card. Since then, the computer won't even POST (even after putting the old card back.)

I've never heard of a MoBo not even posting due to a bad video card. I'm hoping it's not the MoBo b/c it would be a massive PIA to RMA.