Help w GC on older system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I have a Optiplex GX745, Win XP Pro, 4 GB's and Core2 Duo processor. It always had a low end power source (*305w). Now that it is going out of warranty I am going to install a 600w PS. The second thing I am going to replace is the video card. It has an ATI 1300Pro... UGH! I don't want to go to high end price wise on an older system. So what would you recommend that is a DDR3/DDR4 at around $70.-$125.? I do 3D rendering and graphics. ThanX
Ariana

tigrc

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
In order of performance:

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
ATI RADEON HD 5750
ATI RADEON HD 5670
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

I would suggest GTS 450. It has CUDA and PhysX, but it is your decision.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
the good nes is yes you can use a modern graphics card due to having a pci express slot... the bad news is you will need a low profile card

this is your computer right

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6595685&CatId=5139

if so then yes you will need a low profile card. in your price range i'd suggest a low profile gts 250 by nvidia .. its probably the fastest low profile card in your price range at $115

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187098

it you want ati and are willing to go 150 this would be a nice option

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131363

... your options kinda such though sorry there just aren't a lot of powerful options for low profile cases, every card mentioned thus far with the exception of the gts240 is not available in low profile

side note... there is a 5670 in low profile by msi however due to the large heat sink it would not fit in your case

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
5570 would work but its not very powerful... more powerful than in the current system by alot and you're right about the psu being adequate there's only like 5 low profile 5570 i'd probably go with this option at 80 bucks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121364

but note the 250 linked above or the 5670 would be more powerful... but you would need that new psu ... so if cash is tight the 5570 would make the most sense

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I found you!!! :bounce:

First Thank you to everyone that had responded before! I came in to answer that post and the site dropped, along with my post....

OK, part of the info I neglected to add prior. I have a Mini Tower, Not a Slim Line Case on my Optiplex GX745.

One issue that I was trying to answer was in response to weither I would need to use a Low Profile Card. So i am adding all of my info to help to get the right answer. I wish that other post had not disappeared, I am new on this site and I think I must have hit something inadvertently and erased it! But from what I saw it seemed that all of you were very nice!

Here are my puter specs...
Optiplex GX745
Win XP Pro vers 2002
Service Pak 3
core2 duo 6600 @ 2.40GHz
2.39 GHz, 3.25 GB Ram
305w power (*soon to be replaced with 600w)
ATI Radeon1300Pro Graphics Card (*looking to replace it with a DDr3/4, 1GB, Asus/ATI/Nvidia)

The system is 4 years old. But up until now it has been fairly decent at rendering large images in a fairly short amount of time, plus has not seemed to have had it's system resources over taxed. I own several 3D programs and as of recently I have had issues with new software, and their being able to use Open GL functions. Vue7 Pro, and Curvy. Plus I have always wanted to get a better power source, but could not due to the dell warrenty. The warrenty expires in Jan 2011. So I decided to start investigating adding a little bit more to this system. I have to keep a 32bit XP system because of some of my older software. Plus I can surf while I render on the other system. But the other system has to wait til Tax time to buy.

I hope this clarified my questions better.

Ariana

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

First Thank You... :hello:
I do not have a slim line case like the one pictured in you link> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6595685&CatId=5139

Does this now make a difference in a low Profile vs Better Profile GC?

I'll wait on the answer to ask on other listed items.
Ariana

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

Hello! :hello:

I have been viewing over at YouTube, about cuda and CS5 Ext that I just upgraded to! So as soon as we determine if I have to go with a Low Profile GC, as mentioned here, I will start looking at this.

Thank You! ;)
Ariana

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

Hello and ThanX!!! :hello:

Here are my specs (*I am not really techy so I hope this is what you wanted...) :p

Optiplex GX745
Win XP Pro vers 2002
Service Pak 3
core2 duo 6600 @ 2.40GHz
2.39 GHz, 3.25 GB Ram
305w power (*soon to be replaced with 600w)
ATI Radeon1300Pro Graphics Card (*Yes it is a PCI Express Card)(*looking to replace it with a DDr3/4, 1GB, Asus/ATI/Nvidia)

*I assume your board only has 1.1 pcie slot, so as long as the card is 2.0 ver then you'll be fine.* Is this refering to the length of the pin array? It is a larger array, not the narrow one. I have 3 slots inside for my PCI connections, but on the back, but it appears that only two are visable. I hope this helps some.

I do not know what this means... sorry :??: stock speed? no OC? ?

Ariana :ange:

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
excellent, the mini tower is the only one of the 4 configurations in the optiplex GX745 lineup that uses standard psu and graphics card, that opened up your world alot!

on the PSU front i suggest a good brand psu as this will effect your system more than most people will ever admit... also some 600 watt psu's the bad ones (read usually cheaper ones) are just very bad and often rebranded 2-300 watt psu's... here's an example

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=204

4 star newegg review with over 480 sold.. and its a rebranded 200 watt psu that the breaker kicks at a little over 200 watts and sold as a "580 watt" but peopel who get it never use the full claiemd wattagel hence the rating

that said. at 120 i'd say go with a gts 450 or a 5750 both can be found around your price point and are more than enough power for your needs

here's the card i use its $130 and awsome

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121393

there are cheaper vertions like thie one at $115, this oen has a lifetime warrenty

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187120

those are the 450's 'd suggest as for the 5750 probably

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102865

it has a very good cooler and good clock speeds at 120, 110 after rebate

if you have the extra 10 bucks to spend I'd suggest the asus i got it'll last you for years, but either of the other 2 would be fine

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
This one does look good!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121393&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=

Item#: N82E16814121393

Sorry the link did not want to copy for me... here you go.

Honestly I am still confused about the power supply. Could you say exactly which you were recommending? I am not all that techy (*if you hadn't noticed :sarcastic: ) I am so out of my element here. But as I read around the site I am feeling a little bit better. Seems most are nice like yourself :love: ;)

So really since I planned to have MoonDog (*local Reno computer place) install the power supply, you are saying they might stick me with a cruddy PS? Cause they mentioned a cost of $89.00.... :??: And of course I do not have a part number from them to give you.

As I get info, I just have concerns that I might not pick correctly, and create issues with this system before I get the new one. Life without a puter or rendering! :eek: Unthinkable!

Ariana

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
i think the link was to the ASUS TOP CU i was suggesting, the numbers match

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121393&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=

at 89.00 I'd imagine it'd be a decent 600 watt psu, but you never know, if you trust em I'd say you're probably good, most shops won't intentionally rip their customers off thats a bad way to get them to come back, i know i wouldn't do that to my customers. really the 450 can run on a low wattage psu it only uses 1 6 pin connector.

i was just warning that some psu manufacturers will just put a label on their sub par power supply like the link i showed where a company slapped a 580 watt sticker on a 200 watt psu.

it might be helpful to call the shop and ask what model and brand the psu is that they are putting in.

as for us as a community most people here are pretty nice and helpful when we're not squabbling on geeky stuff liek amd vs intel or ati (now also amd)vs nvidia then we just get our nerd rage out on each other :D

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

Yes I will get that in the morning, it is 7:15pm here, and they close at 6pm. I understand what you are saying, and it had not occured to me at all. But if you don't mind helping I will get the right parts and have a fairly revamped older system! :na:

The help from all of you is totally respected and appreciated! :)

Ariana

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Hi Everyone!
I found the correct power source for my computer!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703016&Tpk=PPCS500D

Now if you look at this, can you help me know what card can work best with it! :D

I went through 9 calls to Dell, several techs and finally found one that knew how to navigate their own site! LOL! He found this and said it would cost me $99.99, and was B/O for 6 weeks! I found the same at new egg $30.00 cheaper and in stock. I feel very impowered. And would not have felt nearly so without all of you... :)

So now the next thing is to find my Graphics card, and I'll be set to go. :kaola:

HugZ!
Ariana

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
pc power and cooling is a good brand, they are not the best but they are also not far from it and good value. the psu in question would be a good fit for your system. if you can affor this and the asus it should be fine for your needs

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Well the issue is weither it will fit and work with all of the stupid Dell proprietary build. I do know this is Dell compatable. And my tech installer did say he wanted to be sure it was compatable (*I got a good tech guy now! ;) ). I think I might do the ATI HD5750 1GB or the Nvidia GTS250 1GB card. Would you have a preference on those?
I'll be in and out... I got my CS5Ext yesterday so I am going through instructional videos on youtube!

HugZ!
Ariana

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
the hd550 or gts 250 is a small step down from the gts 450 but both are ok cards.

the 5750 is a newer design and mroe efficient so I'd probably go 5750 of those two

xfx is probably the best ati brand atm with lifetime warrentiesz and solid cards. I'd probably suggest

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150448

but at $135 its more expensive than the asus i linked which is better than the xfx

now a cheaper option as a 5750 woudl be at $120 ($110 after rebate) but again after rebate only saves 20 bucks, and the regular 450's are the same price

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102865

as for 250's the cheapest 1 gig cards are so close to the price of 450's its really not worth it but if willing to step down on ram there are reasonable priced 250 cards btu rememebr you are halfing the memory size and its much slower momory gddr3 vs gddr 5 for $99.95 ($79.95 after rebate) its a good savings in price at 76% of the price, and 62% of the price after rebate btu you take a performanc hit, however it would certainly work for your purposes as well

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500135

*add* note the gts 250 linked has a lifetime warrenty as well which is a very good thing

tigrc

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Hmm, I saw a comment on newegg of one guy, who does machinimas and he didn't like the GT 430. Are you doing anything like machinimas? Will you play demanding games? If so, Gt 430 is not the choice for you. For everything else, this is a very decent card.
What is your remaining budget?

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
the 430 is mroe of a card where you get to say you have a graphics card.. but that about it. they do of at video playback and minor gaming/ rendering btu they just don't have much muscle... if this were a discussion on dogs the on board graphics card would be a teacup poodle, and the 430 woudl be a pomeranion... yea its about twice as big but its still a 5 lb dog and not of much use (i have a pomeranian, so no hate to the breed.. :D cute dog but beyond trying to move pillow larger than herself and failing she's pretty much useless)

the 450 would be more like a bigger jack russel small but powerful and energetic.

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

No, I will not be gaming on any level. I do 3D graphics, to create art for customers, and I also sell at sci-fi/fantasy conventions.

Two reasons I need to update this machine is that I run lots of programs that now require better graphics support. I found this when I bought Vue7 Pro, it just will not do even half of what I needed. No animations, or large sized renders. Poster size is 7,000 X 4,600 at 300 DPI. One reason I use high dpi is to get details that do not pop otherwise. I often wonder if my GC has been the cause of this. Plus I just upgraded to CS5 Extended, and it has a lot of requirements to do what I want in it. Anyway, in order to get a better GC, I need a better power source. 305w, just did not support anything good. But I am not techy at all. So I could be wrong. That's why I came here for advice.

As soon as I find out how much money is available come May 2011, I can get a brand new system. But until then, since the warrenty on the Dell is going to expire, I decided now I can update the things I did not like on this system. I did not know squat when I bought it 4 years back. I am learning really fast now and have a much better idea of what I would want in my next system.

As for the GC now, I don't think I need one that is too pricey as this system runs Win XP Pro, and I understand now that Direct X does not work really well on it?! There has been some question about DDR and if a DDR2-3 might not be way sufficeint for the system and the power supply. I had an eye opener yesterday when I saw my first $999.99 Graphics Card.... :ouch: Wow that is a dedicated Gamer! I know that I do want one that has at least 1GB of memory. Also that is be a card with a good reliable fan. Runs cool because I am (*just like a gamer) running up to 18 hours a day, depending on how inspired I get. And supports Open GL & CUDA.

Graphics Card budget... So I was thinking $125.00 ballpark. Probably a little less.

I really do appreciate everyone's help here. I am not techy at all. And a lot of the things that we have talked about, I never even was aware of. I wouldn't even know to ask. I most likely sound totally dim witted, but I take every word to heart. So thank you all.... :)

HugZ!
Ariana

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

LOL!!! I love your analogies! Yes I guess I would like a dog with a bit more "bite"! I am worried about if it fits. I tried to search the ATI Radeon 1300Pro, to look at the pin array on the PCIE type that fits in my puter, and could not find a pic! Does anyone know how to find one? I knew the cards were old... but dang!

Talk soon!!!
HugZ!
Ariana

Status
Not open for further replies.