Build Complete Help Water My Plant project

jonbuder

Commendable
May 3, 2020
Hi folks,
My son and I (he's 8 years old) had this idea for a raspberry-pi powered website which shows a video feed on demand of a growing plant. The Pi also powers and controls a water pump which the users of the website can initiate.

It's come together over the past few weekends so I wanted to show it off and also ask for any suggestions for improvements. It's running on a Raspberry Pi Zero W.

The website URL is: [Link removed] Please read the forum urle

Please note we don't have a light set up on the plant, so it won't be visible at night here in Mountain Standard Time.

Some pictures of the setup:
setup.jpg
setup.jpg

pump.jpg

container.jpg

plant.jpg

Thanks for checking it out!

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone's curious, it was very easy to locate the page with a search for "Help Water My Plant" in quotation marks. : P

As a suggestion, you should hook the thing up to a 55 gallon drum. You just know someone is going to want to keep watering it all night long, and they will be disappointed if the bucket runs out of water.

jonbuder

Commendable
May 3, 2020
Didn't mean to go against the rules, but given the website is an integral part of the project, it's kind of just pictures of some electronics and empty words without it. I understand if I can't link to it, though.

I figured the small bucket will be enough because watering it excessively would just kill the plant and make water drip all over my back porch. In fact I was going to look into a way to limit how often it can be watered but haven't gotten that far yet.

Here's a screenshot - thanks to those who tried it out so far. I will try to get the iframe contents centered in the border because I like the look of the green border on it.
screenshot.jpg