HELP! Where do I get drivers for Vectra VL/8 PIII 600?

I bought one of these from ebay - didn't come with an install disk.
And...I can't seem to find it on the HP site. I see references to
VL/i8, but no obvious source for a driver package.

TIA for any help!

~AE

As with many other HP computers which are all patheticly supported on the HP web
site, the fallback position is always to determine first which chipsets are on
the motherboard and the add-in cards. Next, go to the web sites of the various
chipset manufacturers and download the drivers for your favorite operating
system. As a rule, a more recent version of Linux will do all the necessary
figuring out of the chipsets and required drivers for the hardware. Windows is
more brain-damaged, because there is no guarantee that the drivers for your
system are built into the Windows install CD. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

.... Ben Myers

On Thu, 20 May 2004 14:19:04 GMT, in comp.sys.hp.hardware you wrote:

> the fallback position is always to determine first which chipsets are on the motherboard

How?? I'm trying to install win98 on it, and there's no indication of
what the chipsets are.

doesn't anyone out there know what drivers i should look for?

~ae

Adrien,

If I had a Vectra VL/8 P3 600 to look at, I could help you. But I don't. I'm
just recommending the generic procedure I follow when a computer ends up in my
hands for service. To elaborate further, you need to examine the major
(largest) chips on the motherboard and/or add-in cards. Write down the names of
the chip manufacturer and the other chip markings and post this info back.

Odds are good that HP used Intel chips, as HP has long been an OEM customer for
Intel motherboard chips in the BETTER HP product lines. If the CPU is a Slot 1,
chances are the main chipset is Intel 440BX. If the CPU is Socket 370, the
chipset is probably 810 or 815. If the video is integrated on the motherboard,
the chipset is likely 810 or 815E. Drivers for these chipsets are readily
available on the Intel web site.

HP is not the only company that does not provide drivers or detailed
specifications on line for its computers, but it is one of the worst in this
regard. It is ironic that its best business-class computer, the Vectra, has the
worst info of all. Even the lowly consumer-oriented Pavilion has detailed info
about its chipsets on the HP web site. Go figure... Ben Myers

On Thu, 20 May 2004 18:20:29 -0500, Adrien Wild <aewild@cox.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 20 May 2004 14:19:04 GMT, in comp.sys.hp.hardware you wrote:
>
>> the fallback position is always to determine first which chipsets are on the motherboard
>
>How?? I'm trying to install win98 on it, and there's no indication of
>what the chipsets are.
>
>doesn't anyone out there know what drivers i should look for?
>
>~ae

ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:
[deleted]
> HP is not the only company that does not provide drivers or detailed
> specifications on line for its computers, but it is one of the worst
> in this regard. It is ironic that its best business-class computer,
> the Vectra, has the worst info of all. Even the lowly consumer-
> oriented Pavilion has detailed info about its chipsets on the HP web
> site. Go figure... Ben Myers

You are sounding more and more like a broken record, in more than one
meaning of the term "broken". See my other response in this thread for
an example of how broken your record is. (And no, this is not the only
example, but just one example of many.)

Adrien Wild <aewild@cox.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 May 2004 14:19:04 GMT, in comp.sys.hp.hardware you wrote:
>
> > the fallback position is always to determine first which chipsets are on the motherboard
>
> How?? I'm trying to install win98 on it, and there's no indication of
> what the chipsets are.
>
> doesn't anyone out there know what drivers i should look for?

Try

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=16361&locale=en_US&taskId=135&swEnvOID=20&refresh=true&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=32861#860

I got there by searching for "Vectra VL/i8 drivers" (i.e. using the
product name in your OP. That search gave some results with the top one
being "Support for your HP Vectra". Clicking that gave a list of
(hardware products). Clicking on "HP Vectra VLi8" gave the "technical
support -HP Vectra VLi8" page with "I would like to download drivers
and software". Clicking that gave a "specify operating system - HP
Vectra VLi8". Clicking "Microsoft Windows 98" (which you failed to
mention in your OP and hence made that meaningless) gave the above
mentioned page which contains all kinds of driver software.

Now, that wasn't too hard, now was it?

Well, yes, you're right. There are some drivers there. However, I do not see
on the referenced web page any drivers for the motherboard chipset. (If
motherboard drivers are there, they are well hidden by the descriptions.) This
implies that the motherboard drivers are built in and standard in Windows 98.
Given that the a P3-600 uses probably an Intel 440BX or 810/815 chipset, I know
for a fact that neither is on the Windows 98SE CD from Microsoft. Both Intel's
440BX/ZX and 810/815 chipsets became available on computers after the Windows 98
release was frozen. Same with the competing VIA, SiS, and ALi chipsets of this
era. Most name brand vendors compensated for this by providing CDs with
supplementary drivers.

Next, why is it that one cannot find this driver page by clicking on the
support/drivers icon on the HP home page and drilling down by model? I'll play
my broken record again and claim that the HP web site is damned hard to navigate
if and when the drivers really are there. And I'll claim once again that HP's
driver support is incomplete. I play this broken record regularly in the futile
hope that some major decision maker at HP reads these threads and may actually
make a decision to bring up the level of HP's web site to that of its
competition, namely Gateway-eMachines, Dell and IBM. Improving the web site
means both making it easier to use and putting more drivers out there.

The fact remains that the best and most accurate way to determine the
motherboard drivers is the hard way, by reading the chip identification info
directly from the chips themselves. I have to do this all the time, servicing
lots of wayward and broken down computers that show up here. It's no fun, but
it works... Ben Myers

On 22 May 2004 08:44:27 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

>Adrien Wild <aewild@cox.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 May 2004 14:19:04 GMT, in comp.sys.hp.hardware you wrote:
>>
>> > the fallback position is always to determine first which chipsets are on the motherboard
>>
>> How?? I'm trying to install win98 on it, and there's no indication of
>> what the chipsets are.
>>
>> doesn't anyone out there know what drivers i should look for?
>
> Try
>
>http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=16361&locale=en_US&taskId=135&swEnvOID=20&refresh=true&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=32861#860
>
> I got there by searching for "Vectra VL/i8 drivers" (i.e. using the
>product name in your OP. That search gave some results with the top one
>being "Support for your HP Vectra". Clicking that gave a list of
>(hardware products). Clicking on "HP Vectra VLi8" gave the "technical
>support -HP Vectra VLi8" page with "I would like to download drivers
>and software". Clicking that gave a "specify operating system - HP
>Vectra VLi8". Clicking "Microsoft Windows 98" (which you failed to
>mention in your OP and hence made that meaningless) gave the above
>mentioned page which contains all kinds of driver software.
>
> Now, that wasn't too hard, now was it?

craigm

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

> The fact remains that the best and most accurate way to determine the
> motherboard drivers is the hard way, by reading the chip identification
info
> directly from the chips themselves. I have to do this all the time,
servicing
> lots of wayward and broken down computers that show up here. It's no fun,
but
> it works... Ben Myers

Ben,
Have you ever tried booting a live Linux CD to see what hardware is present?
Just let Linux find all the devices it can. It may not work for all cards,
but most of the basic motherboard components will probably be detected.

craigm

Craig,

Yes, I've booted Linux which is darn impressive in its ability to autodetect
devices compared to brain-damaged Windows. Only rarely does Linux have trouble
with a device, usually with something so brand new that Linux drivers have not
been written yet.

The sad thing here is that PCI, AGP, and motherboard devices all have known
vendors and device types. They are assigned that way via the PCISIG consortium.
Microsoft's products never bother to decode this information into
human-recognizable form. As a result, you see "Unknown Device", or, if you're
lucky, "Ethernet Card" when installing Windows.

There are also a few DOS mode command prompt utilities that do a good job of
identifying vendors, devices and chips. They are mostly shareware or freeware,
and the writers don't keep them up to date.

It is easier for me to simply open up the chassis of a computer and read the
information on the chips. Been doing this for many years after doing a lot of
contract lab and product evaluation work back in the days when computer
magazines had telephone book thickness... Ben Myers

On Sat, 22 May 2004 13:54:44 -0500, "craigm" <none@domain.invalid> wrote:

>> The fact remains that the best and most accurate way to determine the
>> motherboard drivers is the hard way, by reading the chip identification
>info
>> directly from the chips themselves. I have to do this all the time,
>servicing
>> lots of wayward and broken down computers that show up here. It's no fun,
>but
>> it works... Ben Myers
>>

>Ben,
>Have you ever tried booting a live Linux CD to see what hardware is present?
>Just let Linux find all the devices it can. It may not work for all cards,
>but most of the basic motherboard components will probably be detected.
>
>craigm

ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:
[deleted]
> Next, why is it that one cannot find this driver page by clicking on
> the support/drivers icon on the HP home page and drilling down by
> model?

I don't know. Because you (apparently) don't know how to use a web
site?

*I* *can* "find this driver page by clicking on the support/drivers
icon on the HP home page and drilling down by model" and *very easily*:

Method 1, browse then search:

- Main page (<http://www.hp.com/>) -> Support & Drivers -> * Download
drivers and software for product: VLi8 (brings you to the "technical
support -HP Vectra VLi8" page, see my OP).

Method 2, only browsing:

- Main page (<http://www.hp.com/>) -> Support & Drivers -> Desktops &
Workstations -> Desktop PCs -> HP Vectra PCs -> HP Vectra VL Series ->
HP Vectra VLi8 (brings you to the same "technical support -HP Vectra
VLi8" page, see my OP).

Like I said before:

Now, that wasn't too hard, now was it?

> I'll play my broken record again and claim that the HP web site is
> damned hard to navigate if and when the drivers really are there.

Which will make you look quite silly, see above.

> And I'll claim once again that HP's driver support is incomplete.

Which you support by exactly which evidence? (I.e. be *specific*.)

> I play this broken record regularly in the futile hope that some major
> decision maker at HP reads these threads and may actually make a
> decision to bring up the level of HP's web site to that of its
> competition, namely Gateway-eMachines, Dell and IBM. Improving the
> web site means both making it easier to use and putting more drivers
> out there.

Well, I'm sure that HP appreciates constructive and substantiated
feedback. Perhaps you should try to give some of that instead of playing
your broken broken record.

[deleted]

craigm

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Frank Slootweg wrote:

> ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:
> [deleted]
>
>>Next, why is it that one cannot find this driver page by clicking on
>>the support/drivers icon on the HP home page and drilling down by
>>model?
>>

> I don't know. Because you (apparently) don't know how to use a web
> site?
>
> *I* *can* "find this driver page by clicking on the support/drivers
> icon on the HP home page and drilling down by model" and *very easily*:
>
> Method 1, browse then search:
>
> - Main page (<http://www.hp.com/>) -> Support & Drivers -> * Download
> drivers and software for product: VLi8 (brings you to the "technical
> support -HP Vectra VLi8" page, see my OP).
>
> Method 2, only browsing:
>
> - Main page (<http://www.hp.com/>) -> Support & Drivers -> Desktops &
> Workstations -> Desktop PCs -> HP Vectra PCs -> HP Vectra VL Series ->
> HP Vectra VLi8 (brings you to the same "technical support -HP Vectra
> VLi8" page, see my OP).
>
> Like I said before:
>
> Now, that wasn't too hard, now was it?
>

>>I'll play my broken record again and claim that the HP web site is
>>damned hard to navigate if and when the drivers really are there.
>>

> Which will make you look quite silly, see above.
>

>>And I'll claim once again that HP's driver support is incomplete.
>>

> Which you support by exactly which evidence? (I.e. be *specific*.)
>

>>I play this broken record regularly in the futile hope that some major
>>decision maker at HP reads these threads and may actually make a
>>decision to bring up the level of HP's web site to that of its
>>competition, namely Gateway-eMachines, Dell and IBM. Improving the
>>web site means both making it easier to use and putting more drivers
>>out there.
>>

> Well, I'm sure that HP appreciates constructive and substantiated
> feedback. Perhaps you should try to give some of that instead of playing
> your broken broken record.
>
> [deleted]

Once all the HP drivers have been downloaded and installed, one can
always run Window's Update and get whatever else Microsoft has.

(At least get the security patches.)

craigm

Good! Now just try to find almost ANY driver for almost ANY HP Pavilion
computer, the model most widely used and the one about which the most questions
are asked on this newsgroup. The only saving grace is that HP DOES manage to
tell you what the chipsets are on the motherboard and on the add-in cards. As a
consequence, one is able to dredge up the drivers from elsewhere on the web, but
not from the HP web site.

I do hope that "almost any driver for almost any HP Pavilion" is specific
enough. HP's long-standing support policy for its Pavilions is to expect people
to use ONLY the operating system with which the system shipped originally, and
to use the HP restore CDs which sometimes are supplied with a computer. Hence,
HP sees no need to put drivers for Pavilions on its web site except possibly to
fix egregious software defects. (Compare that policy with Dell's or IBM's. Go
to either web site and download whatever you need to repair IBM systems, drivers
for all operating systems which could plausibly run on their computers, detailed
specs, and on-line utility software to give you status of currently installed
hardware on a system. Does HP have very much of this?)

I followed your instructions, and once again found a list of drivers for the
Vectra VLi8. And I'll repeat once again like a broken record that there are
absolutely ZERO drivers for the motherboard chipset for Windows 95 or 98 on this
computer. Yes, yes, yes, lots of other drivers. But none for the motherboard
chipset, which came to market after 95 and 98. Hence, motherboard chipset
drivers ARE needed if one is installing either OS from scratch. Win 2000 and XP
may have drivers included on the OS CD for this system, in which case people are
lucky to have either OS install pretty cleanly on the VLi8.

Also, there is no list of product specifications for the VLi8. Drilling down
thru the HP web site and clicking on product specs for this model ends up with a
laundry list of odds and ends HP feels are useful to its customers. Many of
them truly are. But no detailed list of product specifications like motherboard
chipset, network card, graphics subsystem, audio chip, etc. This is plainly
inadequate. Am I being specific enough?

HP does supply its System Software Manager for the VLi8 running ME, 2000, or XP.
The System Software Manager must have a computer with fully operational internet
access to be useful.

Don't get me started. I could spend a lifetime critiquing the HP web site, and
never get done. I DO know how to navigate web sites, but thank you for showing
me additional ways to dig out info about HP products... Ben Myers

ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:
> Good! Now just try to find almost ANY driver for almost ANY HP
> Pavilion computer, the model most widely used and the one about which
> the most questions are asked on this newsgroup. The only saving grace
> is that HP DOES manage to tell you what the chipsets are on the
> motherboard and on the add-in cards. As a consequence, one is able to
> dredge up the drivers from elsewhere on the web, but not from the HP
> web site.
>
> I do hope that "almost any driver for almost any HP Pavilion" is
> specific enough. HP's long-standing support policy for its Pavilions
> is to expect people to use ONLY the operating system with which the
> system shipped originally, and to use the HP restore CDs which
> sometimes are supplied with a computer. Hence, HP sees no need to put
> drivers for Pavilions on its web site except possibly to fix egregious
> software defects. (Compare that policy with Dell's or IBM's. Go to
> either web site and download whatever you need to repair IBM systems,
> drivers for all operating systems which could plausibly run on their
> computers, detailed specs, and on-line utility software to give you
> status of currently installed hardware on a system. Does HP have very
> much of this?)

OK, so now we have switched product lines and target customer? Fine by
me.

FWIW, I have no problem with HP's approach to Pavilion support. I
think it is appropriate and adequate (sp?) for the average (Pavilion)
end-user. That it is not sufficient for people who want to (re)build
their own system (and hence bought the wrong system) or you (who seem to
be in the repair business) is quite another, irrelevant, matter.

> I followed your instructions, and once again found a list of drivers
> for the Vectra VLi8. And I'll repeat once again like a broken record
> that there are absolutely ZERO drivers for the motherboard chipset for
> Windows 95 or 98 on this computer. Yes, yes, yes, lots of other
> drivers. But none for the motherboard chipset, which came to market
> after 95 and 98. Hence, motherboard chipset drivers ARE needed if one
> is installing either OS from scratch. Win 2000 and XP may have
> drivers included on the OS CD for this system, in which case people
> are lucky to have either OS install pretty cleanly on the VLi8.

I don't understand why you seem to be so sure that there is a problem
with the support of the (chipset on the) motherboard. Because the OP
said "PIII 600"? I would not put to much weight on that. After all he
mis-spelled "VLi8", did not bother to mention the OS he was trying to
install and does not seem very knowledgeable. So where did he get the
"PIII 600" from?

Anyway, assuming that this box is supported with Windows 98, and the
HP website seems to indicate that, I assume, until *proven* otherwise,
that the software on the website is sufficient to get the box running
under a sufficiently new version of 98.

> Also, there is no list of product specifications for the VLi8.
> Drilling down thru the HP web site and clicking on product specs for
> this model ends up with a laundry list of odds and ends HP feels are
> useful to its customers. Many of them truly are. But no detailed
> list of product specifications like motherboard chipset, network card,
> graphics subsystem, audio chip, etc. This is plainly inadequate. Am
> I being specific enough?

It is plainly inadequate for *you*, who seem to be in the support/
repair business but do not seem to have the appropriate contracts/
contacts/resources/<whatever> to actually perform those services, and
in some mysterious way the HP website is to blame for that. I hope you
don't mind if I'm not too impressed.

> HP does supply its System Software Manager for the VLi8 running ME,
> 2000, or XP. The System Software Manager must have a computer with
> fully operational internet access to be useful.
>
> Don't get me started. I could spend a lifetime critiquing the HP web
> site, and never get done. I DO know how to navigate web sites, but
> thank you for showing me additional ways to dig out info about HP
> products... Ben Myers

You are very welcome! :)