[SOLVED] Help! Windows setting widescreen to 640x480

phdibart

Reputable
Nov 21, 2018
When I recently moved, my Asus XG35VQ widescreen monitor got cracked, so I ordered another one (same model). The crack affected the left 15% of the screen, so I was using the cracked one until the new one arrived. When it just arrived, I figured I could just swap the monitors out with the computer on, since they were the same model. So all I did was turn the broken one off, unplug it, plug the new one in with the existing cables, and when I turned the monitor on, it was at 640x480, which made it completely unusable (I mean, all the text was garbled, so I couldn't navigate through much).

I rebooted into safe mode, DDU'd my Radeon drivers, reinstalled Radeon drivers, and it went right back to 640x480. The resolution of this monitor is 3440x1440, and I've had it with an RX580 for the past year with no problems.

What the heck could be causing this?

Edit:
I should have mentioned I am using Displayport. I tried the new DP cable that came with the monitor, and the same thing. I tried using HDMI, and the problem is fixed. So back to my original question...what the heck? Why would the resolution be correct with HDMI and not Displayport?

Last edited:

phdibart

Reputable
Nov 21, 2018
Probably damaged the DisplayPort by trying to hotswap cable when switching old for new monitor.

Well, I ended up resetting windows and now everything is fine. At first, I thought what you said, but now that it's working after resetting windows, I must have corrupted a file or registry key that I couldn't remove with DDU.

TRENDING THREADS