Build Advice Help with 2 pc builds please.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xkira888

Commendable
Jan 11, 2020
I would like suggestions for 2 pc builds.

One is for home office work and one is for gaming. Both pcs will probably have dual monitors of some sort.

Home office pc: Fast, able to handle multiple programs being open/used at the same time, maybe some videos. Programs include speech to text, MS office, accessing hospital medical records remotely (not sure how that affects the user's pc), and whatever else medical staff do these days.

Gaming pc: Fast, high (not top) performance, able to run multiple programs + game. Mainly play some older games like Starcraft 2 but would also like to play some of the new, more graphics intense games. Preferably with no lag and low-mid graphics settings. Normal usage would include game, browser game, youtube/netflix all running at the same time.

I am unfamiliar with budgets for desktop builds but would prefer budget (not cheapest) to mid range for both builds. Willing to spend a few extra $ if the quality/performance is worth the price. Would like the pc to be quiet/normal (no indoor aircraft please), have efficient cooling, and reasonable power usage. No expensive/flashy cases please. Definitely want an SSD for the operating system and I know RAM is important...but the difference between 8/16/whatever escapes me.

I am unfamiliar with most of the terminology and the different part versions. I'm currently at the point where "I recognize that word" and "I think that is for (memory/graphics/etc)". If you could point me to a guide that explains these things simply like "an idiot's guide..." Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated, thank you. Now I'm going to google idiots guide to build a pc because that JUST occurred to this idiot now >.<

On the topic of that Asus TUF 5700 XT graphics card, while it may appear to have a fairly substantial triple-fan cooler, apparently the VRAM cooling is nearly nonexistant on that model, with GDDR6 temperatures reported to exceed safe operating temperatures, which might not be good for long-term durability.

For the office pc you might be right,might even be that 250gb is enough anyway. Think that people interestd in game pc's know about more drives and use them to their advantage.
Even in the gaming build, pairing a 250GB NVME SSD with a 1TB SATA SSD doesn't seem particularly cost-effective. You're looking at around $150 for 1.25 TB of total SSD storage, most of which is on the not-as-fast SATA drive. It would probably make more sense in most cases to either go with just a 1TB SSD (NVME or SATA), optionally paired with a 2TB+ HDD if additional bulk storage is needed, or moving up to a 2TB SSD.

xkira888

Commendable
Jan 11, 2020
I am using your list as a guide and filling them in as I do some research and understand more about the parts. Partpicker is saying something about Bios updates for the 3600 and 3400G. Is that an issue I need to look into?

Work pc:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3400g
CPU Cooler:
Motherboard: something with wifi
Memory: 16gb
Storage: 500gb-1tb SSD
Case: good airflow, convenient dust filters. Would mini-ITX micro-ATX affect the parts other than the motherboard? Possible to get good airflow for a work pc?
Power Supply: gold

Gaming pc:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler:
Motherboard: something with wifi or wifi separate?
Memory: 32gb
Storage: 1tb SSD and 1-2 HDD
Video Card: need more time... >.<
Case: good airflow, convenient dust filters.

Last edited:
The workload mentioned in the initial post does not require anything graphically intensive that a basic card cannot support. But the extra cores can easily help in multitasking or supporting multicore workload. You do not need 3x better graphics performance for running multiple instances of office.
You are correct, but adding the GPU is extra effort and cost, since the Integrated Ryzen chip can be had for the same, or better price according to Amazon at the moment. The Integrated might be more than they need, but there is no point spending more money for less performance, even if that performance wont be fully utilized. Also, if the PC is going to a Family Member who is not tech savvy at all, it could just cause issues for them to have a GPU. I know more than one person who I have helped by plugging the monitors into the correct ports, since they do not know the difference between the iGPU and GPU. I have also explained to these people what they did wrong, but most do not care enough to remember this info for the next time it happens, it seems. A GPU also adds the software aspect that doesn't need to be there, for someone who doesn't want a complicated PC, and just "wants it to work".

I am using your list as a guide and filling them in as I do some research and understand more about the parts. Partpicker is saying something about Bios updates for the 3600 and 3400G. Is that an issue I need to look into?

Work pc:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3400g
CPU Cooler:
Motherboard: something with wifi
Memory: 16gb
Storage: 500gb-1tb SSD
Case: good airflow, convenient dust filters. Would mini-ITX micro-ATX affect the parts other than the motherboard? Possible to get good airflow for a work pc?

Gaming pc:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler:
Motherboard: something with wifi or wifi separate?
Memory: 32gb
Storage: 1tb SSD and 1-2 HDD
Video Card: need more time... >.<
Case: good airflow, convenient dust filters.
The BIOS Update is an issue. Look at the manufacturers webpage for the specific motherboard you want to buy. They should say there what generations of CPU it is compatible with out of the box. Some are not compatible until you update the BIOS using an older chip. AMD Offers a program that will send you a CPU you can use to update the BIOS, which you then return to them. This is extra hassle though, so finding a motherboard with out of the box support is probably your best bet.

The Micro-ATX, or mATX is just the motherboard size. An mATX case and motherboard combo will (usually) work with everything else standard, like GPU and CPU Coolers.

Mini-ITX is much different. ITX Builds may be very difficult. An ITX motherboard itself has standard connectors, and can be put in most larger cases to allow use like normal. It is also really just a size difference, like mATX. however using an ITX motherboard and case combo is not something recommended for someone looking for "bang for the buck" In almost any ITX case, you will need a SFF PSU, and Low-Profile CPU Cooler, have limited options for storage, and some limit the size of the GPU you can have too. Some limit height, some length, some will use any GPU. These can cause a same spec build cost more for ITX size, since it requires more specialized components.

I would go with a mATX motherboard and case, and unless you really want to get as small as possible, avoid an ITX case. You can use an ITX motherboard in a mATX case, but beware an ITX board may have less features due to its size.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qnF6q3

How does this look? Should I buy additional case fans and/or replace the stock case fans? If so, what size should they be? Other suggestions/improvements would be greatly appreciated.
Improved...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $324.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler | CRYORIG M9 Plus 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler | $48.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard | $189.99 @ Amazon
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | $82.99 @ Newegg
Storage | HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $134.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB EVOKE OC Video Card | $389.99 @ B&H
Case | Thermaltake Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition ATX Mid Tower Case | $65.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply | SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $104.99 @ B&H
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1387.91
| Mail-in rebates | -$45.00
| Total | $1342.91
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-01 06:13 EST-0500 |

xkira888

Commendable
Jan 11, 2020
Thank you for the improvements!!! Could you help me understand why they are improvements (other than the CPU)? Is it pricing, comparable performance, personal experience?

I chose the Corsair RAM because of the CPU cooler clearance. CPU cooler with the most reviews. SSD because I read it was reliable. Red Devil and Meshify C because I read they were the best at cooling/airflow.

Thank you for the improvements!!! Could you help me understand why they are improvements (other than the CPU)? Is it pricing, comparable performance, personal experience?

I chose the Corsair RAM because of the CPU cooler clearance. CPU cooler with the most reviews. SSD because I read it was reliable. Red Devil and Meshify C because I read they were the best at cooling/airflow.
Better performance cooler.
Faster RAM(clearance wont be an issue).
Equally good SSD... https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hp-ex950-nvme-ssd-2tb,5306.html
The card has faster boost clock.
The case and PSU are quality wise equally good.

And your budget remains the same.