Question Help with 2070 super all out of ideas

Sep 2, 2021
The problem I have been battling with the last few days is a core clock that constantly stays on 300 mhz even under load. I have also noticed that the card seems to think it is getting 1663 watts. I'm guessing this is causing the card to shut itself down to the bare minimum. I've used Geforce experience, afterburner and gpu-z and they all show over 1600 watts. The problem randomly appeared and I have not tried to do anything to the card to alter the amount of power it can receive. I'm really hoping to avoid having to send the card in because I've had bad experiences with MSI in the past. Things I've tried to resolve the issue:

-Reinstalled windows using the tool in windows and from a usb
-Tried 3 different drivers
-Reseating the card
-Swapping the slot the card is plugged into
-Swapped PSU
-Changed settings in Nvidia control panel
-Removed OC programs
-Using onboard graphics removed gpu from windows entirely and reinstalled.

Build Info
Asus Z370 with I5 8600k
16GB Geil Ram
MSI 2070 Super
Corsair RM 650 x psu

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You mean using Windows Media Creation Tools?
Did you use DDU prior to reinstalling the latter versions(out of the 3)?
What PSU did you swap out with?
What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?
How old is the Corsair RM650X?

After installing the OS, you're advised to disconnect from the internet and manually install your GPU driver, with the latest version off of Nvidia's support site. When installing, install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Can you verify that the card is faulty/failing by dropping it into a donor system that has at least 550W of power for the entire system from a reliably built PSU? FYI, over time the effective power output by a PSU is reduced.

Sep 2, 2021
Thanks for the welcome and quick response.
  1. Yes, I used the media creation tool.
  2. Yes, I used DDU when I installed the other drivers. I tried the newest driver available the oldest available and one that was in the middle of the list on Nvidia's site.
  3. I swapped it with another Corsair. It was also a RM650x
  4. Currently at work but I will check when I get home in a couple hours.
  5. It is around 1 year old.

When I get home I will manually install the drivers. I do not have another system to test the card in. I had the extra PSU on hand that I was going to use for another build but never got around to it with GPU prices and availability the way they are. I'll update with BIOS version as soon as possible. Thanks again for your help.

Sep 2, 2021
Took the card to local shop for them to try in their system. They said the card would not output display on two different machines. I don’t understand why it turns on and somewhat works on mine but not theirs.

Sep 2, 2021
Thanks for the help guys. MSI is a nightmare to deal with. They lost a card of mine a while back and it took getting the post office involved before the card magically appeared. Guess I’ll buckle up and enjoy the ride.