Help with a build

xabi89x

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
I was going to upgrade my current pc, but I'm considering a new build.

The CPU and GPU are definitive, the rest can be changed if the cost-efficiency is worth it.

This is my first draft:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k 4.0 GHz 8Mb
Mobo: Intel MSI Z170A PC MATE
GPU: GTX 1070 (One of the customs, still to decide)
Storage: 1tb HDD + 500 Gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD
PSU: Nox Urano TX 750W
Case: ATX Nox Coolbay VX
Ram: Crucial Ballistx 16Gb (2x8) DDR4 2.666 PC4-21300
Cooler: NOX Hummer H-300

My doubts are specially with the Mobo, RAM and Cooler

I don't know much about this, so I might be missing some red flags

The Mobo is nothing special but I can't see anything wrong with it. May be I could go for a Gaming version of the Z170A for an extra cost.

I believe that a 750W PSU would be enough.

Regarding the RAM, I'm considering going for a 2x16Gb DDR4 but I don't know if it would be worth it.

Any suggestions about different components are welcome. I'm working with a small component list as I'm going to get them from a local store (I get some special prices there) but I can try to get them.

Solution
Well the mobo works but you won't be able to get very good CPU overclocks with it. This depends on factors such as VRM cooling and power delivery, but to keep it short and simple the easiest way to go about choosing a motherboard is to just get the most expensive board you can afford.

The PSU isn't particularly good, and 750W is kinda overkill for a single card. If you can link the site of the store you're buying from that would be ideal as PSUs are one of the components that you simply can't find everything at one place, so it'd be easier for me to just see what they have available.

RAM is fine, and indeed 2x16GB isn't worth it if this is a gaming rig (if it's a workstation, really just depends on how big your projects are).

Cooler...
Well the mobo works but you won't be able to get very good CPU overclocks with it. This depends on factors such as VRM cooling and power delivery, but to keep it short and simple the easiest way to go about choosing a motherboard is to just get the most expensive board you can afford.

The PSU isn't particularly good, and 750W is kinda overkill for a single card. If you can link the site of the store you're buying from that would be ideal as PSUs are one of the components that you simply can't find everything at one place, so it'd be easier for me to just see what they have available.

RAM is fine, and indeed 2x16GB isn't worth it if this is a gaming rig (if it's a workstation, really just depends on how big your projects are).

Cooler doesn't look very good for the pricing either. Go for a Coolermaster 212 Evo if you want something more basic or a Cryorig H7 if you want a little more performance.

Solution
I would stay with 2x8gb ram, that's fine. 750w is more than enough, however that is an unknown brand so I would suggest investing in a better PSU since you are spending a lot on your setup. Cooler is not the greatest as well. Definitely go for something like the Noctua NH-D14 if you are oging to OC.
Motherboard is a low quality Z170 series. Better invest into something better like the Asrock Extreme4 Z170 or Asus Z170-A.

xabi89x

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Updated to:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k 4.0 GHz 8Mb
Mobo: ASUS Maximus VII HERO
GPU: GTX 1070 (One of the customs, still to decide)
Storage: 1tb HDD + 500 Gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD
PSU: Corsair Rm650i 650w 80 Plus Gold Modular
Case: ATX Nox Coolbay VX
Ram: Crucial Ballistx 16Gb (2x8) DDR4 2.666 PC4-21300
Cooler: Cryoring H7