Question Help with a disk with all file structure intact, but no go to open the files (corrupted)

hydrocynus

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Hello all,

I have a hard drive that used to be the main hard drive of my computer. I removed this hard drive from the computer, then I created a tib archive using acronis 2020 bootable drive. The drive was read via a USB dock, and the image was saved to another USB drive. All completed fine.

Here is the issue: The TIB file is corrupted. Acronis cannot open it and, although the drive looks fine, I cannot open any of the files. They all come as corrupted. I can, however, navigate through the whole HDD file as all the files are present and organized the same way I had them.

I am going to mount the drive as a slave and see if I can read the files, but I do not think this is the issue. Something happened and I am not sure if I can access these files again.

Thank you if you know a way to recover the files that appear to be all corrupted. Luckily, I have everything on cloud drives, so I have not lost it all, but I do have some files that are on the desktop, and I need to recover my directory and my archive emails from outlook, as well as all of the files that are tied with some programs (e.g. google earth and alike). So, it still is pretty bad.

Last edited:

hydrocynus

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Yes, it is the same system. The original disk: I can access the disk but I cannot open any files. All the files are corrupted. I can only see the files and all appear intact until I try to open one.

hydrocynus

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
IT came and removed my old hard drive and gave me a new PC.

I then booted with acronis 2020 true image on my laptop that had the old drive mounted on a USB dock and my other USB HDD to save the image of the old drive.

The imaging process was successful.

The results are:
1- the image (TIB) cannot be opened with acronis 2020
2- When mounted on the USB dock, the old drive can be accessed and all files appear fine until I try to open a file. There is not one single file that can be opened.

I have done a fair amount of backups and this is the first time is happened. The old drive is a 2TB firecuda STX2000DX002

hydrocynus

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Are you sure?
Many laptops, especially in a corporate environment, have hardware encryption. Mostly invisible to the user, but taking the drive out...cannot read.
Are you sure?
Many laptops, especially in a corporate environment, have hardware encryption. Mostly invisible to the user, but taking the drive out...cannot read.
Not corporate. University. None of the previous drives were encrypted. I will ask IT on Monday, but I doubt it is encrypted.

hydrocynus

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Can you extract and upload a sample file, privacy concerns notwithstanding?

Hello, IT has my drive and I was told they started encrypting the drives about 3 years ago. The drive is being decrypted but it booted up fine when mounted on the old PC. Thank you all very much for your help with this and I am sorry if I used up some of your time. It surely drove me a bit nuts.
Cheers to all.,