Help with a first time build please-corei7

pharmd83

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I'm glad to have people immensely more knowledgeable than me give me advice during this very confusing and very overwhelming process.

Case:LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail

MOBO: ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Memory:OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Retail

Graphics: SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X 100269VXL Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ... - Retail

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

CPU Cooler: XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail

System Usage: I'm looking to build a PC that I will be able to upgrade in the future with little hassle. Currently I mostly just use my pc for web-browsing and the occasional gaming. I hope to have a machine that will pull me away from my console games for a change. I've never overclocked and i'm not 100% sure that I will, however as pc's are my off and on hobby, I might eventually breakdown and push my pc to the limit. Basically, I want a beast that will not limit me in the future if i decide to start delving deeper into the wormhole that is pc modification.

My questions/concerns:
1.) I was going to get the OCZ platinum 6GB but I found a bundle with the OCZ gold and I didn't know if I would be able to tell a difference with the performance at this time. Also, I'm not 100% about the compatibility of the OCZ gold/platinum 6GB 1600 with my MOBO.
2.) Speaking of MOBO + Memory, can someone shed some light and finally give me a straightforward answer as to what the max supported memory is for the asus p6t, 12gb or 24?
3.) Is it worth the extra $$$ to upgrade to the Asus p6t deluxe v2? I was a little worried after reading a few post about failure rates of the deluxe ed.
4.) I'm still not 100% pleased with my case selection, being so new, I haven't seen any comprehensive reviews. I went with lian-li off a recommendation. Cases I'm somewhat interested in include: Apevia X-pleasure, NZXT Guardian, NZXT Tempest, Thermaltake Armor+MX. Things I like in a case: blue leds, blue chassis, side window, good airflow.
5.) Can you help me out with a link to the best optical drive? I don't really want blu-ray, I have a ps3, and I can upgrade later to a blu-ray burner. I do want cd/dvd rw, however i'm not too sure about lightscribe, seems like a great idea but I dont know if its worth it.
6.) And finally: Thermal paste? to use or not to use? and why? and where?

Sorry for the long post, like I said this is a little overwhelming to me and I need all the help I can get. I can't wait to start building. Looking forward to your responses. Thanks.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
1. The platinum is cas 7 if its the 1600 mhz flavor. It is a little better, but probably won't notice any difference unless you do overclock the CPU. Either will work with the Asus mobo

2. 24 per Asus.
http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=179&l3=815&l4=0&model=2731&modelmenu=2

3. Personally, I don't think the money is worth the upgrade, but that's cuz I dont need the extra ports or dual land the v2 offers. It is a little nicer with the extra capacitors they put on there, but they both will run the stock system just fine.

4. Don't worry too much about the case since you're not sure your going to OC. Once you get into the $75+ price brackets, most of the cases are at least good at airflow and construction quality. Get what you like the look of. Its more important to most people than finding the exceptional cooling case. I like the Cooler Master Storm series. Antec is a forum fav.

5. There haven't been great optical reviews for a while. They all generally do the same job. Some features like lightscribe add $5 to the cost, but really is minor when considering the total cost of the build. Wouldn't waste too much time and just pick one that's sata.

6. You'll need some kind of goo with the heatsink. The stock cooler will come with it and if you're not overclocking, that will work fine. If you are going to overclock, you'll want an aftermarket cooler and ask the question then about TIM (thermal interface material.)

We are all here to help, so ask away. I learn just as much from answering post that I do from working on my own stuff.

ion_tribe

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
1. I have OCZ gold - no probs with that, should work great with Asus
2. Standard is 24 - such high end mobo would be put to shame if it didn't support 24
3. It's a lottery [ I hate Asus btw. ]
4. I have Armor+ Big Tower [ people are scared of it :D and it's perfect ]
5. Lightscribe DVD's are hard to find and expensive, same goes for blu-ray
6. You have to use it, comes in pack with high end coolers, without it your CPU will face inferno

Hope this helps a bit ;)