Question Help With A Replacement WiFi/LAN Card and Antenna

Jay_34

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2016
Hi:

Here is the front and back of my Wifi/LAN card that expired.

dVtJOAb.png

Thanks for stopping by.

Last edited:

Jay_34

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2016
Does it already have antenna wires? If so, how many?
I think I found the answer:

The card/chip you recommended doesn't come with anantenna. the antenna connector is not a standard SMA type. The antenna connector uses IPEX 4 connectors, also known as 4th generation connectors, which are different from SMA connectors. This WiFi card does not include antennas, and users need to purchase antennas with IPEX 4 connectors separately if using it with a desktop PC.

dVbd9J1.png

I can't salvage my old antenna.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
His model is HP Slim Desktop - S01-pF1036

The only spec I can find for its wifi is
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06707009
Realtek Wi-Fi 5 (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo
Could not find its back panel image

It does have 1 PCIe x16 and 1 PCIe x1 slots

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay_34

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
He still needs to buy two antennas, wires and a slot bracket for the M.2 WiFi module.

He already bought one Intel PCIe wifi adapter in another thread. Why not just buy another one?

Last edited:
Why do you want adapter that has only one antenna instead of two?

Don't you worry the performance?

PCIe x1 slot has been occupied?
It is strange. He should not need a antenna if he is just replacing a similar card. He could easily get much better m.2 card and then add a second antenna. Since the motherboard has a m.2 wifi slot it will be simpler to use that than messing with a pcie slot in a tiny case.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Doesn't one antenna means 1x1? Most wifi router should be at least be 2x2.

==

Well, after searching the part number HP915620-001 on post #12, same as post #1
, he is just replacing a supposed now dead RTL8821CE card, so he must be satisfied with the performance before it's dead. But the picture looks like it's used. Don't know long it will last?

Last edited:
Not sure why they only put 1 antenna in that PC. It likely costs well under $1 for a second antenna. The wifi card might even be the same chip they just only put 1 connectors on the card.

He could get a ax210 wifi6e card...would be more than $9 but still there are some brands less than $20.

Jay_34

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2016
so he must be satisfied with the performance
Yes, and the single antenna was internal. Based on my experience with LAN/WiFi cards, I need a an inexpensive but effective backup.

Yes, the PCIe x1 slot has been occupied. I'm not too crazy about the antennas protruding out of the back of the PC, but it performs well. For how long, I don't know.

By the way, does anyone know what the antenna spec is?

dVtJOAb.png

Last edited: