Help with an odd connectivity issue

rbtree

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
With my 2 yr old desktop running W-7, I have lost internet access totally.

It was on my network, connected wirelessly and had worked fairly well for those two years. The first symptom was the Windows network software giving the message "Connected, no internet access" even while showing the network and signal. Similar message with the D-Link adaptor software, which read "connecting, waiting for key"

Didn't matter whether I rebooted the router and modem, changed the network name, and encrypted it or left it open. Meanwhile, the only other wireless device is my phone and it connects easily. But when using it as an access point, the computer gave the same message and wouldn't connect to it either.

So, I brought it in to the main room with the modem and router, and connected it directly to each, via ethernet. No go, no internet. The main computer, of course, works fine, and is what I'm using to write this.

I couldn't get help from Comcast, as they cant see the computer, or from D Link or Cisco. (Thinking the problem was the adaptor, I have purchased a Linksys AE 3000 USB adaptor. Of course it didn't work either)

Is there something deep in the registry that is preventing connection? I've run all the network diagnostics time and time again.

I'm somewhat computer literate. But a good friend is much more so, and he had no answer..at least one that worked.

Hopefully some of you wizards can help!