Question HELP WITH AN OLD RELIC PC ON XPSP2!

Bear Elmo

Reputable
Feb 3, 2021
Hi everyone,

I digitise videos on an old XP SP2 machine. The reason I use this old OS is that the hardware and software is the most compatible with this set up, mainly Premiere Pro 2 and a Matrox RX100 capture card.

I have recently had to rebuild a new machine from scratch, only issue is the GFX card. I get glitchy lines appear over the screen. The PC still runs most of the time without crashing but it's clearly an issue and making it unstable.

I have a GTS 450 NVIDIA card and this is the driver that I have partial success with...

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/windows/280_26/winxp-280-26-whql-driver/

Only issue is, an error message comes up saying its incompatible, the only way around this is to copy and paste a line into one of the text files of the NVIDIA driver folder to make it think it's the right driver using the GFX card hardware ID code from Device Manager.
This is what I paste (PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1405&SUBSYS_093910DE&REV_A1)

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/77225
This is the version I tried to use initially (as advised by the guy I bought the machine off) but this would make the PC crash trying to install it, so even worse.

I also tried driver NVDIA 368.81 but it says incompatible again.

The computer will crash for example when I've been digitising a tape for an hour and I lose the file, this isn't every time but I'd like to make a more robust machine.

Other spec:

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU
Q6600 @ 2/40ghz
2.40ghz, 3.25 ghz of RAM

All other drivers are installed properly.

Would I be better off buying a more modern PC and a running a virtual machine on it with XPSP2?

I'm open to suggestions but I feel confident that it's just that I'm not using the correct GFX driver.

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ollie

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to theforums, newcomer!

I think the issue with artifcating on such an old system would be tied to the PSU of the prebuilt, unless you've replaced the PSU and you're suffering from a lack of driver support. In the latter's case, have you tried running something a generation older, like the GTX 500 series? The problem regardless of which old GPU you choose is that they are already phased out from driver support.

Bear Elmo

Reputable
Feb 3, 2021
Thanks for the welcome!

I've not tried a more modern GFX card.

I'm not sure I follow how the PSU effects the card in this instance. This machine was sold to me on gumtree as a 'Retro Gaming PC' and everything was running smoothly when I bought it, but I had to do a clean OS install of XPSP2. It's the original PSU from when I purchased it.