[SOLVED] Help with Bios Update ASUS .CAP file, security verification failed

Jan 9, 2021
Mobo: ASUS B85M-G PLUS, version 0402, UEFI
Cpu: I7 4790

I think I should update my Bios in order to make my nvidia RTX 2060 graphics card recognized if I understood correctly. Because in my Device Manager I see an unidentified PCI device, nevertheless I want to update my Bios but I can't.

- I just downloaded the .CAP file even renamed it with BIOS renamer downloaded from ASUS webpage. I formatted my 2Gb USB stick with FAT32 with single partition and then stored the .cap file inside.

- Plugged the Usb stick to the 3.0/2.0 ports (because I've tried both ports), booted to my Bios, in Advanced Mode, I chose Tool and EZ Flash 2 Utility and there I clicked the .CAP file inside the USB. But it says "SECURITY VERIFICATION FAILED"!!

Why exactly? Someone please help I tried million times nothing seems to work and I'm hopeless at this point. :(

Last edited:
Solution
BIOS CSM settings are okay. This really has nothing to do with them.
SECURITY VERIFICATION FAILED"
That error happens when the firmware is not the correct version for your motherboard even though it says it's for that model. The patcher does not see the correct firmware version on the motherboard.

You have the newest bios now. 0402 is the latest. Or should I say, last https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/B85M-G PLUS/HelpDesk_BIOS/

I can find other people with same CPU/Motherboard with 2060, so it should work. what happens if you run the Nvidia driver installer?

what gpu are you using now?
Jan 9, 2021
Actually in my BIOS, it says UEFI Bios Utility, but when I look from the "msinfo32" it says that it is Legacy, but I assume that it's Uefi actually as it says on the Bios title, thats why I'm editing now on my question above.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021
I mean I want to update my BIOS why wouldn't I? It's a bit risky I know but it's very old and I think I will face with some complications afterwards. And why I don't see my graphics card mentioned anywhere in my PC?

Colif

Win 11 Master
UEFI is the format of the BIOS as well as a boot method

UEFI bios can be set to boot in UEFI or Legacy boot.
So what boot method is showing under CSM on the boot tab?

it has nothing to do with question.

You might be best asking Asus since you following their steps for BIOS updates.

Jan 9, 2021
UEFI is the format of the BIOS as well as a boot method

UEFI bios can be set to boot in UEFI or Legacy boot.
So what boot method is showing under CSM on the boot tab?

it has nothing to do with question.

You might be best asking Asus since you following their steps for BIOS updates.

In boot priority it says Uefi in the second square and in the first option it shows my hard drive's name
IMG-20210201-212030.jpg

I am following through the manuals and guides on asus' webpage but nothing resolves the issue that Im having which is the error of "Security Verification Failed".

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
That I can't help with, for the video card not working your original statement was Legacy and the BIOS on the card with a lot of the 2000 series will only work in UEFI.

If nobody else here can help I would contact Asus a BIOS update might be needed.

Colif

Win 11 Master
SECURITY VERIFICATION FAILED"
That error happens when the firmware is not the correct version for your motherboard even though it says it's for that model. The patcher does not see the correct firmware version on the motherboard.

You have the newest bios now. 0402 is the latest. Or should I say, last https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/B85M-G PLUS/HelpDesk_BIOS/

I can find other people with same CPU/Motherboard with 2060, so it should work. what happens if you run the Nvidia driver installer?

what gpu are you using now?

Last edited:
Reactions: ozlevin
Solution
Jan 9, 2021

Thank god Im relieved about that I was checking the one without Plus: B85M-G Driver & Tools | Motherboards | ASUS USA I'm really sorry about that

But then why can't I see my graphics card anywhere, after I install the drivers from Nvidia will they show up? So currently I don't have internet on the PC so can I install graphics card drivers etc on my laptop with internet on USB, and transfer it to the desktop, will it work? I tried it and driver installer crashed. Better if I wait for internet to come huh

Colif

Win 11 Master
i assume you mean Download the GPU drivers on the Laptop, put it on USB and install on PC. That should work.

What is showing under Display adapters in device manager? What are you using to read this? GPU or onboard? I know the 4790K has igpu cores, so could be on the motherboard … I can't tell from here :)

Thank god Im relieved about that I was checking the one without Plus: B85M-G Driver & Tools | Motherboards | ASUS USA I'm really sorry about that
You just lucky Asus checks and doesn't just flash bios or you be the sorry one with a broken PC. Putting the wrong one on can be expensive.

Jan 9, 2021
What is showing under Display adapters in device manager? What are you using to read this? GPU or onboard? I know the 4790K has igpu cores, so could be on the motherboard … I can't tell from here :)

- Under display adapter there is only "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" and under Other devices: there are "Pci device" and "unknown device". I assume the Pci device is my graphics card, but I'm not sure about Unkown device.

- I'm using my laptop and sometimes my smartphone to read this, if you're talking about the forum. If you're talking about the desktop I have an rtx 2060 gpu and I connected it to monitor with an HDMI cable. Unfortunately I'm not sure how it all works, that's why I need your guys' help

- It is 4790 without the K unfortunately :confused_old:

Thank you for all!

Colif

Win 11 Master
win 10 should have recognised the card. it should have installed newer ones via windows update.

can you right click start
choose run...
type winver
and press enter

that shows current version installed, latest is 20H2. what are you on?

does the gpu show up in the bios? I assume it has to if you are getting an output from it.

Jan 9, 2021
win 10 should have recognised the card. it should have installed newer ones via windows update.

can you right click start
choose run...
type winver
and press enter

that shows current version installed, latest is 20H2. what are you on?

does the gpu show up in the bios? I assume it has to if you are getting an output from it.

It says Version 2004 (OS build 19041.685), I guess I need the internet to install everything right?