[SOLVED] Help with BIOS updates for Asrock X470 Taichi ?

Nov 14, 2021
ok here's my situation

right now im using Asrock X470 Taichi with bios version v1.50 + Ryzen 2700x + Gskill Flare X DDR4 32 GB XMP 3200 Mhz

i just bought Ryzen 5600x and want to switch the processor, but since my motherboard still X470 is not compatible by default. So i look at Asrock X470 driver support

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X470 Taichi/index.asp#BIOS and im confuse with bios version here.

Which one i need to update first ? i want to update directly to v4.60 but it says i need to update from v2.0 then go to v4.60

im afraid bricking my motherboard thats why im asking here, plz help

Solution
According to this post (link) you should be able to upgrade bios with old CPU in it and then swap to new CPU after BIOS update

make sure to be on latest version of chipset drivers before starting - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x470

if you are on a version older than 2.0, you need to update to it first
You may need to get 3.50 but it doesn't explicitly say to get it. Mainly based on - *** User will not able to flash previous BIOS once upgrading to this BIOS version.
Then I can't see any reason you can't go straight to top BIOS version provided you swap CPU right after.

Colif

Win 11 Master
According to this post (link) you should be able to upgrade bios with old CPU in it and then swap to new CPU after BIOS update

make sure to be on latest version of chipset drivers before starting - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x470

if you are on a version older than 2.0, you need to update to it first
You may need to get 3.50 but it doesn't explicitly say to get it. Mainly based on - *** User will not able to flash previous BIOS once upgrading to this BIOS version.
Then I can't see any reason you can't go straight to top BIOS version provided you swap CPU right after.

Solution
ok here's my situation

right now im using Asrock X470 Taichi with bios version v1.50 + Ryzen 2700x + Gskill Flare X DDR4 32 GB XMP 3200 Mhz

i just bought Ryzen 5600x and want to switch the processor, but since my motherboard still X470 is not compatible by default. So i look at Asrock X470 driver support

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X470 Taichi/index.asp#BIOS and im confuse with bios version here.

Which one i need to update first ? i want to update directly to v4.60 but it says i need to update from v2.0 then go to v4.60

im afraid bricking my motherboard thats why im asking here, plz help
Update first to v2.0, then update to the latest.

I'm not sure why you want to update to 4.60 for a 5600X though; you really should go to the latest which is vL4.75 at the very bottom of the list. It has AGESA 1203c the latest available that fixes USB drop out problems and other issues that plagued early Ryzen 5000. It says it's 'BETA' but don't let that bother you as AMD is leaving the AGESA at a BETA release for all 400 series chipsets, and so all BIOS's wind up in BETA status too.

Also, the caution about updating the 'All-in-One' driver is really intended for owners of APU's to make sure they don't lose a display from the iGPU after the BIOS update. You don't have to concern yourself with that but do update chipset drivers and get them only from AMD support web site.

And last: be sure to reset CMOS after each BIOS update and after swapping in the new CPU. You wind up doing it several times but it's really important.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021
Update first to v2.0, then update to the latest.

I'm not sure why you want to update to 4.60 for a 5600X though; you really should go to the latest which is vL4.75 at the very bottom of the list. It has AGESA 1203c the latest available that fixes USB drop out problems and other issues that plagued early Ryzen 5000. It says it's 'BETA' but don't let that bother you as AMD is leaving the AGESA at a BETA release for all 400 series chipsets, and so all BIOS's wind up in BETA status too.

Also, the caution about updating the 'All-in-One' driver is really intended for owners of APU's to make sure they don't lose a display from the iGPU after the BIOS update. You don't have to concern yourself with that but do update chipset drivers and get them only from AMD support web site.

And last: be sure to reset CMOS after each BIOS update and after swapping in the new CPU. You wind up doing it several times but it's really important.

ok im gonna update my motherboard today, i'll do exactly what you said i hope it works. i'll keep update here, thanks before