Help with boot problems

DrRedstone

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Hello, so I came across a computer with windows 8 (not 8.1) installed on it from HP (laptop, model HP ENVY M6). I installed a distro of Linux Debian called MineOS Turnkey onto it so I can host my Minecraft servers. I stupidly forgot that windows 8 won't boot in legacy mode, so installed Grub, in legacy mode. Though MineOS works 100% how I want it to, I can no long boot into Windows 8.
If I boot Win8 in legacy mode, I get this
http://pastebin.com/xGxxHskR
If I boot Win8 in EFI mode, the system claims there are no OS's installed.

If this helps anything, I can boot off of USB and DVD/CD. I have Hiren's BootCD 15.2, and MineOS is basically a modified Debian, if I can do anything from within legacy mode.

My guess is you damaged the bootloader for Windows.

My advice is you perhaps do something like this:
1) remove the linux drive
2) Install Windows 10 (in UEFI mode)->
a) Download media creation tool, create a W10 install disc/USB (W10 version must match such as W10 Home 64-bit)
b) Boot to W10 install, do NOT enter the key when asked. skip that.
c) Finish update

2) After that, rather than mess with a common bootloader, you can just set the most booted drive as the default boot drive, then if you want to switch, change back for example to Legacy and boot Linux.

*This is pretty MESSY though. While I do recommend Windows 10, then ideal method would be to use a UEFI version of Linux and have the bootloader set so you get an option to boot either one.

Update:
With a laptop, did you have two drives or did you partition the drive, or did you simply WIPE Windows 8 off when formatting for Linux?