Help with buying a SSD

scathach

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
Hello everyone,

I plan on buying my first SSD (I know i'm late to the party) and I need some advice. I'm interested in buying the "Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB M.2" but my current motherboard the "Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H" doesn't support that. So I think my only option is buying a "PCI Express to M.2 PCIe SSD" adapter. Am i correct? If so, are there things I need to look out for? My CPU is an Intel i5-3570k

Thank you for your time. :)

Solution
You may also want to consider a 2.5 Samsung 850 EVO which are almost as fast compared to HDD Boot times and easily mounted away from any heat source. Sometimes a PCIe SSD if close to the GPU can run hot which is not good for SSDs life span. Price/performance between M.2 NVMe and a 2.5 drive, well you can judge for yourself and it's worth shopping around.
You may also want to consider a 2.5 Samsung 850 EVO which are almost as fast compared to HDD Boot times and easily mounted away from any heat source. Sometimes a PCIe SSD if close to the GPU can run hot which is not good for SSDs life span. Price/performance between M.2 NVMe and a 2.5 drive, well you can judge for yourself and it's worth shopping around.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

For that system, don't bother with an NVMe drive.
You'll not see any benefit over a regular SATA III SSD. The 850 EVO, or Crucial MX300 or MX500.

Seriously.