[SOLVED] Help with case rgb and motherboard

Azzercam

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Hi all, I’ve just purchased a be quiet pure base 500dx case and wandered if I’m going to be able to use the rgb lighting with my motherboard. I currently have an old ASUS maximus hero vii motherboard. I also don’t think I’ll be able to plug the usb c port from the front panel in either.
Is that correct? If I want to use the rgb is there something I can buy separately?

Solution
TL-DR: You can use your RGB LEDs, as is, just fine but you can't sync them with other devices. And for USB-C, you'll need PCI-E adapter card.

---

You can use the RGB LEDs without connection to the MoBo. Just plug the power connector to PSU and switch the LED modes from your front I/O panel.
Further reading from case manual, page 24.

However, if you want to sync the RGB LEDs with your other ARGB devices and/or control the LEDs via MoBo software, then you'll need 3-pin ARGB header on your MoBo. Which your Z97 chipset MoBo doesn't have.

There are little to none when it comes to adding ARGB control to your PC, when your MoBo doesn't have ARGB header to begin with.

The only option, that i know of, is Asus ROG Aura Terminal,
specs...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
TL-DR: You can use your RGB LEDs, as is, just fine but you can't sync them with other devices. And for USB-C, you'll need PCI-E adapter card.

---

You can use the RGB LEDs without connection to the MoBo. Just plug the power connector to PSU and switch the LED modes from your front I/O panel.
Further reading from case manual, page 24.

However, if you want to sync the RGB LEDs with your other ARGB devices and/or control the LEDs via MoBo software, then you'll need 3-pin ARGB header on your MoBo. Which your Z97 chipset MoBo doesn't have.

There are little to none when it comes to adding ARGB control to your PC, when your MoBo doesn't have ARGB header to begin with.

The only option, that i know of, is Asus ROG Aura Terminal,
specs: https://rog.asus.com/apparel-bags-gear/gears/rog-aura-terminal-model/

But to find one on sale, is another ordeal. Also, i can not tell if your Be Quiet! ARGB LEDs would be compatible with ROG Aura Terminal or not. Here, the chance is 50:50.

I also don’t think I’ll be able to plug the usb c port from the front panel in either.

True, since for that, you'll need internal USB-C header, which your MoBo also doesn't have.

However, getting internal USB-C header is far easier and you can use dedicated card which is PCI-E x4 to USB 3.1 internal.

There are quite a few to choose from, e.g:
amazon 1: https://www.amazon.com/Ableconn-PEX-UB152-Internal-Express-Adapter/dp/B07PRQWMGG/
amazon 2: https://www.amazon.com/Front-Socket-Express-Adapter-Motherboard/dp/B07ZRTQXNC/

---

All in all, you'd be better off buying new CPU-MoBo-RAM combo and do pick the MoBo that comes with at least one ARGB 3-pin header. It's preferable when your MoBo has RGB 4-pin and ARGB 3-pin headers, several of each, for best flexibility. Oh, internal USB-C header as well.

Reactions: Azzercam
Solution

Azzercam

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I will be upgrading my mob cpu and ram in a few months so I’ll make do for now with switching the leds via the io based on your info. I can do without the usb c atm also so will make sure I look for the headers when upgrading as well. Thank you again

Reactions: Aeacus