Question Help with component identification on Asus motherboard ?

Jul 29, 2022
Found this component on an ASUS motherboard. Having a heck of a time identifying it. I believe there is a missing sister component below it that I need to replace.

Any help would be appreciated! It shows E7 EW and a + logo of some sort.

https://ibb.co/q0jFyJ2

Found this component on an ASUS motherboard. Having a heck of a time identifying it. I believe there is a missing sister component below it that I need to replace.

Any help would be appreciated! It shows E7 EW and a + logo of some sort.

https://ibb.co/q0jFyJ2
Based on the component outline and appearance it looks like an inductor....But the [+] marking suggests a polarity marking yet inductors are typically not polarized components.

If it is an inductor a nearby companion component would likely be a capacitor. Could you also provide a wider frame picture showing the component and it's surrounding circuitry and the empty location of the "sister" component?

Also an angled shot that would reveal something of it's sides and height, especially one that includes leads (if any on topside).

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022
Of course. Here is a slightly larger view of the area. I can go farther if you like.

Asus Q407i motherboard.
PC does run but will lock up with black screen within 3 minutes of boot.

https://ibb.co/5WqMymT

Component just to the left of the cap is missing. There is one leg still attached to the pad. To my untrained eye, it looks like only one side of the cap flowed and the other was just touching the pad. At some point, the cap increased and the zap shattered the part leaving just the one side of the leg. Thats my running theory

I think this is a 25V 10uf cap. This assumes its the same value as the cap to to the left (the one i originally pictured)

Of course. Here is a slightly larger view of the area. I can go farther if you like.

Asus Q407i motherboard.
PC does run but will lock up with black screen within 3 minutes of boot.

https://ibb.co/5WqMymT

Component just to the left of the cap is missing. There is one leg still attached to the pad. To my untrained eye, it looks like only one side of the cap flowed and the other was just touching the pad. At some point, the cap increased and the zap shattered the part leaving just the one side of the leg. Thats my running theory

I think this is a 25V 10uf cap. This assumes its the same value as the cap to to the left (the one i originally pictured)
OK...got it..in this image it's not so square and that confused me. That's a tantalum chip capacitor I'm pretty sure and they are are polarized. Markings method is unfamiliar to me too so hard to determine what value is and tolerance is...i'm afraid a bunch of google searching is in order and skimming through Chinese language datasheets.

You could try tacking in another of the same type/value and work from there. The pad with the long bar adjacent is doubtless the location for the positive lead and that agrees with the other cap; confirm it with a volt meter. It appears to be a VRM circuit so it would probably have greatest effect on voltage stability and most likely tolerance for a wide range of values.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022
OK...got it..in this image it's not so square and that confused me. That's a tantalum chip capacitor I'm pretty sure and they are are polarized. Markings method is unfamiliar to me too so hard to determine what value is and tolerance is...i'm afraid a bunch of google searching is in order and skimming through Chinese language datasheets.

You could try tacking in another of the same type/value and work from there. The pad with the long bar adjacent is doubtless the location for the positive lead and that agrees with the other cap; confirm it with a volt meter. It appears to be a VRM circuit so it would probably have greatest effect on voltage stability and most likely tolerance for a wide range of values.

Thanks. I was able to find a Vishay datasheet which seems to indicate the E7 EW is 15uF/25V. This looks like a B or C package. I've ordered a few options and I'll give it a go. They will be here next tuesday.

Appreciate the help!

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Jul 29, 2022
Unfortunately, the cap didnt fix the issue.
The laptop still locks up/black screens at random times. Usually tied to NVME access. I changed out the NVME drive with no change.
I tested some points on the board and seem to have stable voltage before and after the lockup. Somewhat stumped on where to go next with this one.