iliekgames

Honorable
Nov 13, 2017
Hi. I recently bought a top end gaming PC, and after 2 months I'm unable to boot up my PC.

My config is:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core 4.20GHz, 5 GHz Turbo - 96MB L3 Cache Processor w/ Radeon Graphics
GPU: Asus Rog strix 4090 24GB
CPU Cooling: Corsair ICUE H150i 360mm liquid cooler
Motherboard: Asus Rog strix X670E-FR
RAM: 2x32GB DDR5/6400mhz Corsair dominator
PSU: Corsair HX1000i 1000W 80+ platinum
SSD: 2x2TB Kingston Fury Renegade M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD - 7300MB/s Read & 7000MB/s Write
Case: Corsair 5000x iCUE
Monitor: 32"MSI optix MPG321UR-QD

The PC was working well, I just played some games, switched it off and 2 days later switched it on, and I heard a long beep followed by 3 short beeps, and another short beep after some time (this last one sounded like the normal boot sound). The fans all keep running, but the monitor didn't turn on.

I did try re-seating the 2 ram sticks & the GPU, but that didn't help.

I informed the company where I bought it from, and they reckon it's a problem with the GPU and asked me to return my GPU to be replaced with another one.

However, I tried connecting the monitor hdmi to the onboard hdmi, and I still get the same problem (1 long, 3 short and after a while another short beep which sounds like normal booting sound).

Does this mean the fault is not with the GPU but something else? Or is this still a GPU issue & will it be fixed with a new GPU?

Please advise on what you think could be the problem.

Appreciate any input as I'm very worried having spent a fortune on this and it breaking down in just 2 months. I haven't installed any new hardware since I got my pc same haven't don't any over clocking.

Also, my seller told me they no longer stock Asus 4090s and that I will be given an MSI Suprim X 4090 instead. When I bought my strix, I remember it being about £240 more expensive than the Suprim X. Am I getting a bad deal out of this?

4745454b

Titan
If you are dealing with the seller because it's still under warranty, I'd do everything they say. If they say to mail X, mail it. That's how your going to get it fixed for free. It might take some time, but this is hows it's done. I'm with you that if you plugged into the IGP without the card in the system it should have worked if it really was the card. Perhaps remind them of that. (If you only moved the cable and left the GPU in there, remove it and try again.)

As for the value of the card, ask them about it. They might send you some money back. But you for sure want to deal with them, not us.

Reactions: iliekgames

iliekgames

Honorable
Nov 13, 2017
If you are dealing with the seller because it's still under warranty, I'd do everything they say. If they say to mail X, mail it. But you for sure want to deal with them, not us. I'm with you that if you plugged into the IGP without the card in the system it should have worked if it really was the card. Perhaps remind them of that.

I am following advice as per the seller, and have already mailed it back to them (it was picked up today, but they'll only get back on Monday). I'm just seeking opinions from experts to know what the consensus is.

I will inform them on Monday that connecting to iGPU did not work.

I'm also interested to know what others' thoughts & experiences are regarding the ROG Strix & Suprim X.

For this trick to work you would need to physically remove 4090 first, otherwise mobo disables iGPU by default and you get no video.
I have tried both, with leaving the GPU in place and also removing it and connecting to the onboard GPU. I'm getting the same error, that's why I'm worried.

I have tried both, with leaving the GPU in place and also removing it and connecting to the onboard GPU. I'm getting the same error, that's why I'm worried.
Well, then if you did that it means it is NOT a GPU problem, since system behaves same way even when GPU is not present. You better call the seller and tell them this because mailing them GPU is not going to solve your problem at all.

Try clearing CMOS, then try it again connecting monitor to motherboard. Since this is prebuilt machine it is possible iGPU has been completely disabled in BIOS so re-setting it should bring it back.

4745454b

Titan
I haven't looked up the cards. One probably has higher clock speeds over the other. Is it worth $200? Probably not. But you did pay for that so it's an issue.

I haven't looked up the error cords, but 3 beeps is usually a ram issue. But that's normally 3 beeps by themselves. 3 beeps with other beeps? You'd have to look that up.

I haven't looked up the cards. One probably has higher clock speeds over the other. Is it worth $200? Probably not. But you did pay for that so it's an issue.

I haven't looked up the error cords, but 3 beeps is usually a ram issue. But that's normally 3 beeps by themselves. 3 beeps with other beeps? You'd have to look that up.
According to Asus website 1 long 3 short should be VGA issue. Then 1 normal beep afterwards makes sense as you can boot normally even with bad/not present GPU.

For the card difference it matters though what recipe specifies. If it just specifies 4090 without name (common practice in prebuilt) then they can change model at will without compensation. But if it states Asus Strix then OP should expect compensation for different model.

iliekgames

Honorable
Nov 13, 2017
Well, then if you did that it means it is NOT a GPU problem, since system behaves same way even when GPU is not present. You better call the seller and tell them this because mailing them GPU is not going to solve your problem at all.

Try clearing CMOS, then try it again connecting monitor to motherboard. Since this is prebuilt machine it is possible iGPU has been completely disabled in BIOS so re-setting it should bring it back.
Yikes, I was afraid of this. I unnecessarily subjected my GPU to the stress and risks of shipping! It was taken in a sponge padded box by DPD this morning. The pickup guy certainly wasn't gentle! The tech should have suggested I try this first before recalling my GPU :(

They did suggest I clear the CMOS, which I did, but that didn't fix it. But I didn't do that after removing the GPU. I can give that a try. As soon as I said to him 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps, he said according to my motherboard that's a GPU issue, suggested I try re-seating ram & gpu, clearing CMOS, and when that didn't work, asked me to return the GPU. I even tried booting with a single ram just to make sure.

According to Asus website 1 long 3 short should be VGA issue. Then 1 normal beep afterwards makes sense as you can boot normally even with bad/not present GPU.
What's the difference between a GPU issue & VGA issue? I thought they were both the same?
For the card difference it matters though what recipe specifies. If it just specifies 4090 without name (common practice in prebuilt) then they can change model at will without compensation. But if it states Asus Strix then OP should expect compensation for different model.
It was not a pre-built system, but rather a custom built system, which I configured myself. They built it for me and shipped it to me. I selected the 4090 Strix, and the bill says the same.

If it's not a GPU issue, then where do you reckon the fault is? Is it the motherboard itself?

What's the difference between a GPU issue & VGA issue? I thought they were both the same?
GPU issue is when GPU fails. VGA issue is broader category, it just means there is some problem with video output. You can have VGA issue reported by BIOS with perfectly fine GPU.
They built it for me and shipped it
So it's prebuilt, the only difference is you got to choose components. We give name 'prebuilt' to anything that was not built yourself in 100%.
If it's not a GPU issue, then where do you reckon the fault is? Is it the motherboard itself?
Not enough data to conclude anything. At this point it is even possible that all components are fine and it's just BIOS fluke having some problem with recognizing properly the GPU.

iliekgames

Honorable
Nov 13, 2017
Update: They got my GPU and said there was no problem with it. They've now asked me to return the PC to see what's the problem. As there was client data on the PC, they are happy for me to remove the SSD before sending it to them.

After seeing videos of the X670E, I see that the SSDs have a thermal pad & the motherboard heatsink stuck to them. So how do I remove the SSD? Will I have to discard the used thermal pad stuck to it? I'm also afraid to pull the heat sinks off from them, as I don't want to break the SSD. May I please know how to go about this?

If removing the SSD destroys the thermal padding stuck to them, how would I put it back? Is it ok to put back the SSDs without a thermal pad?

4745454b

Titan
You should be able to just unscrew and remove?

If you remove the heatsink, you'll need new pads. See if they will send more with the return of the tower. I'm not sure what SSD you have, so I don't know if it will run without the heatsink. Most of them are just fine without them. But some will get really toasty writing large amounts of data without it.

iliekgames

Honorable
Nov 13, 2017
You should be able to just unscrew and remove?

If you remove the heatsink, you'll need new pads. See if they will send more with the return of the tower. I'm not sure what SSD you have, so I don't know if it will run without the heatsink. Most of them are just fine without them. But some will get really toasty writing large amounts of data without it.
Thanks. My motherboard had a GPU mount, which hid the screws to remove the SSD, so I was a bit apprehensive to remove them. The mount didn't budge even after removing the screws, & I was afraid to use force to move it. Contacted the seller & they recommended I use force to pull the bracket, which I did, and that uncovered the screws for the SSDs.

I could remove the SSDs with the adhesive pad still on them (without tearing the adhesive pads). Can I reuse them when I fit it back later?

iliekgames

Honorable
Nov 13, 2017
Well, I got back my PC today from the seller. They said they could detect no problems with the system, and fitted my own GPU & shipped it back. I was a bit apprehensive, and when I tried booting, it produced the same error sound while booting. The monitor did not turn on (not powered at all). So I switched off the PC, & rechecked the power connection to my monitor & when I pushed the power cable in more firmly, it powered on again. I then tried booting it, and it worked without any boot error codes!!!

I have had no problems switching on the PC with no monitor connected in the past! Why did my PC produce an boot error sound when the monitor was not connected?? Is this normal? Now both my onboard GPU & dedicated GPU is working with monitor connected to it. Earlier, when monitor wasn't powered on properly (power connection being loose), both these GPUs produced the same error sound, and also without any monitor connected. This is very weird!