[SOLVED] Help with confusion

FaolGamer

Prominent
May 7, 2020
Okay. So, I am in the market for a new keyboard and mouse. I game mostly, but also type and such. My confusion comes in 2 things. First, mechanical switches. I have no idea what I am doing shopping for them. Tried to do research, but the research confuses me. Second, do I buy these 2 things from same company? I would think yes because of the ease of software and such. Right now, I have Corsair K55 and a Corsair Ironclaw RBG. The K55 is starting to wear out and wanted something a little more long lasting. The Ironclaw is too big for my hand and have figured out a few options there. Any advice would be great. I have heard Razer products aren't that great, but this definitely is very confusing.

Solution
You probably want Cherry MX Brown, Blue or Red.
  • Brown provides a little feedback bump. So you can feel when the key has been activated.
  • Red doesn't have the bump which can make them a little faster. But if you are light on the key and don't depress it far enough. You won't have feedback to know.
  • Blue switches have more travel before activation and require more force. Which may be off putting. It also has that clacky sound some want.
https://www.cherrymx.de/en/mx-original/mx-red.html

They are all good and it comes down to personal preference. For manufacturers. I'd stick with the likes of Logitech and Corsair. There are a lot more good switch makers and keyboard manufacturers out there. Sometimes there is too...
You probably want Cherry MX Brown, Blue or Red.
  • Brown provides a little feedback bump. So you can feel when the key has been activated.
  • Red doesn't have the bump which can make them a little faster. But if you are light on the key and don't depress it far enough. You won't have feedback to know.
  • Blue switches have more travel before activation and require more force. Which may be off putting. It also has that clacky sound some want.
https://www.cherrymx.de/en/mx-original/mx-red.html

They are all good and it comes down to personal preference. For manufacturers. I'd stick with the likes of Logitech and Corsair. There are a lot more good switch makers and keyboard manufacturers out there. Sometimes there is too much choice and it gets overwhelming. I'd say go with the switch type which sounds best to you. Then find a keyboard from Corsair or Logitech with that switch in a layout you like.

If it turns out you like it. Then you can obsess about everything else out there. Even going so far as getting a vintage IBM Model M (pre-1993) or Apple Extended Keyboard II. Along with an adapter or manually rewiring to get them working on a modern PC.

Solution
Okay. So, I am in the market for a new keyboard and mouse. I game mostly, but also type and such. My confusion comes in 2 things. First, mechanical switches. I have no idea what I am doing shopping for them. Tried to do research, but the research confuses me. Second, do I buy these 2 things from same company? I would think yes because of the ease of software and such. Right now, I have Corsair K55 and a Corsair Ironclaw RBG. The K55 is starting to wear out and wanted something a little more long lasting. The Ironclaw is too big for my hand and have figured out a few options there. Any advice would be great. I have heard Razer products aren't that great, but this definitely is very confusing.

There are many many resources and videos explaining how each of the types of mechanical switches feel and sound, along with the construction of the keys.

I would not bother trying to stick with one brand, you will limit yourself too much at least on the keyboard side for switches and keycap quality. I have a Logitech keyboard and the keys are getting shiny and worn looking after not much use.

There are many many resources and videos explaining how each of the types of mechanical switches feel and sound, along with the construction of the keys.

I would not bother trying to stick with one brand, you will limit yourself too much at least on the keyboard side for switches and keycap quality. I have a Logitech keyboard and the keys are getting shiny and worn looking after not much use.

FaolGamer

Prominent
May 7, 2020
Thanks. I was just hoping for the same brand so too many programs aren't running in the background. Still haven't come to a decision yet, but the info everyone provided is great. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS