Help with cooling RX580

GR1M_ZA

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Hi guys...this is not Austin :D

I have a MSI RX580 4G Armour OC edition card https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/Radeon-RX-580-ARMOR-4G-OC

Standard specs are 1366/1750(7000Mhz) . I have overclocked it to 1450/2000( 8000Mhz) and it is nice and stable on all benchmarks/games. The only issue I am having is the heat....yes I know the RX580 runs hot. My average temps are +-70-74C when gaming on 100% fan speed which I know is not to bad. I have limited the temps to 75C on Afterburner, it never throttles back during gaming...only when running Furmark it will throttle.

My question is, how can I get this running cooler without water cooling it, if only by a couple of degrees. Mind you the card is still under warranty.

I know I have the following options :

1. Replace thermal paste - loose my warranty
2. Replace cooler with beefier one - loose warranty
3. ????

Cooling in my case is also not an issue...i have 4 intakes and 2 exhaust fans. The card is getting a decent amount of air flow over it, case is Antec P8 ( I know it is not the best case but is was cheap)

Just needs some advise or a direction to go in.

Thanks

I doubt that replacing the thermal paste will help much. Ideally a case with a side fan port would be best (so the cool air is blowing directly on the graphics card). You can mod the case panel, but that is a pain.

But in truth there isn't much you can do. A water block would do the trick, but it is a lot of expense for a card like yours.

I am a little confused, because the card runs fine, and the card is rated to run up to 90'C.
Is there a reason why you are so worried about 75'C?
An Answer from AMD states - There are several different layouts of the Wattman control panel....and the wording is different on some. Please ignore the stupid misleading designation " Target Temperature". Set that setting to 45c...set the "Max Temp" at 80c or 75c. This will engage the fans at 45c and gradually increase the fans as needed to keep the temperature under the Max setting.
btw its lose, not loose :)

I am guessing that he is concerned that it throttles under Furmark stress test with 100% fans.

GR1M_ZA

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

In my country ( South Africa) it is winter now and I am afraid that when summer rolls around that temp will quickly rise.

GR1M_ZA

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

Thanks...stupid auto correct. :pt1cable: